Prologue

Y/N POV

I started my training at age 15, older than most, but I had my brother to look after. I went through training and was one of the only cadets to join the Survey Corps. We had only been scouts for about a month when the three recruits from the underground showed up. Isabel Magnolia, Furlan Church, and Levi, just Levi. Being top of my class in training, Erwin asked me to help train them with their swords. Even though they were older than me, we became great friends and got along well. However, on our first expedition outside the walls, Isabel and Furlan were killed by titans. That was when I learned their true objective.

Flashback

"I'm going to kill you," Levi said holding his blade to Erwin's throat. Tears still streaming down my face from witnessing 2 of my best friends die. "Please. I can't lose you too," I said quietly. I slowly walked up to him, staring up at him. I lunged forward and pulled him into a hug, "Please," I cried softly into his chest. That was when Erwin revealed that the whole job they were doing was a set up. He then gave a long speech about saving humanity and Levi became loyal to the Scouts.

End of Flashback

Ever since then, Levi and I had been inseparable. We rose through the ranks together and even became captains to the same squad. Being referred to as 'humanities strongest soldiers' was a title that we earned together. 

I'm a lot closer to Levi than I am with my family. My father occasionally sends me letter, mostly just checking if I'm still alive. My mother doesn't talk to me though, she had practically disowned me when I told her I was joining the scouts. The only one who I really care about is Eren and his friend Armin too. They write to me every week, telling me all about their adventures. Apparently, my family has taken in a little girl named Mikasa Ackerman, after her parents were killed. 

One thing that I should mention is that Eren wants to be just like me. He has looked up to me since he was born and wants to join the survey corps too, I think that's why my mother hates me so much. She thinks I'm a bad influence on Eren and that him being like me would ruin his life. But my mother's hate is all worth it when we ride through Shiganshina to the gate and I see Eren, Armin, and Mikasa pointing me out to each other and smiling like I'm their hero. 

I wish that things could have stayed that way forever, but of course, nothing good lasts forever.