Chapter 23: Preparations Before the Banquet

Start from the beginning

"Let's go." Jennie stood up, "One cannot wait for too long."

Just when they were out of the courtyard, they saw the Begonia flowers blooming, one bigger than the next. She stopped and pinched one small flower and inserted into her black hair and it was like adding flowers on brocade.

"Young Lady is really good looking." Marie praised.

Gui Momo just came out from the small kitchen and had prepared some snacks for Jennie to eat in the carriage. As she was carrying the basket out, she saw Jennie and could not help but be startled at the sight.

She had waited on Jennie for so many years and Jennie grew up with her milk thus it can be said that she watched Jennie grew Up. But now she felt that Jennie was a complete stranger. She had a calm and steady manner, coupled with the noble lotus blue colour, there would be no doubt if one were to say she was a princess. She almost did not hold the basket tightly and just stood on the spot looking silly.

Until Marie called out with a smile, "Gui Momo, what is this look for?"

Gui Momo was surprised for a moment and habitually wanted to say a few beautiful words but suddenly remembered that today was the Chrysanthemum banquet. If Jennie attended it this outstandingly, then Shen Yue and Shen Qing would be pushed down. She swallowed the words of praise that were on the tip of her tongue and turned around with a worried look, "Young Lady, the colour of these clothes are just too serious. Young Lady is still young, why wear such a colour which would cover one's natural tone. Wouldn't it be better to wear that peach coloured jacket that is embroidered with a spray of flowers and magpies? It would look much better. And about this hairpin, this old servant remember Second Furen had conferred quite a number. Like that, no one will say that the young ladies from the General's residence would be so plain and simple."

Marie's lips twitched. That peach coloured jacket that was embroidered spray of flowers and magpies was given by Ren Wan Yun. Not only was the colour tacky, coupled with gold and silver jewelry to be worn, it was like a young lady from a local wealthy landlord. Jennie would definitely be laughed at if she were to go to the Chrysanthemum banquet in that today. Obviously Gui Momo had bad intentions. Just as she wanted to reprimand a few words on Jennie's behalf, she heard Jennie's gentle voice, "Currently Ming Qi is enjoying peace and prosperity, and the common folks live and work in peace and contentment but His Majesty advocates on thriftiness. The principle of the world is not to take advantage of extravagance and waste. Is it not good to be plain and simple? If others were to see, one would say that my General's residence is upright, honest and conduct proper family principles. This would be a good thing. So one would not need to care about clothes at all." Jennie's lips raised, "Today's purpose is to appreciate the flowers and people are contending with their talents and these have no relation to how one dress."

Her words were gentle and cordial but there was an unquestionable imposing manner. Gui Momo's mind erupted in chaos. She did not fear Jennie's temper but since when could Jennie speak to her with all these grand principles? Jennie normally did not like studying and was thus dumb. But now to spout out such grandeur of principles, that made Gui Momo, someone who did not study before, not know how to refute back.

Marie could not help but burst out a bit of laughter. She quickly kept quiet and kept a straight face but her brows was unable to cover up the fun she had.

Gui Momo wanted to refute but unable to do so and was made a fool in front of these few maids thus she felt vexed but she was unable to understand why upon her return to the residence this time, she would always be at a disadvantage whenever she talk to Jennie. To say sharp tongued, Jennie's tone was very mild. To say she was gentle, each word would render one speechless.

Gui Momo somewhat embarrassingly handed the basket in her hands to Marie, "These are snacks for Young Lady to eat during the journey as there is a distance to the Chrysanthemum banquet and hope Young Lady would not be hungry." She directly said to Jennie, "This old servant will return to the courtyard to work."

"Go then." Jennie replied in a flutter.

When Gui Momo left, Marie and Alexia was rejoicing. The stronger Jennie was, the more she had the appearance of a mistress. Like this, those people who had no eyes in Shen residence would not dare to bully her.

As she reached the doors, one could see the two horse carriages parked at the entrance. The first carriage was getting ready to set off while the second one was empty.

Shen Qing's maid, Chun Tao stood in front of the first carriage.

CHAPTER COMPLETED & EDITED