He's Dead

-Flashback-

Megan scrambled into Isaac's arms and held him close. He was careful not to let his blood-stained claws touch her shirt. She cried into his chest as he stood there motionless, trying to process the events that had just unfolded. She pulled away slowly and walked over to the body on the ground. She took a deep breath before raising two fingers to the side of his neck. She pressed in, searching for a pulse but found none.

"He's dead, Isaac." She said slowly.

Isaac looked down at his hands covered in the man's blood. He felt a wave of nausea take over and ran to the bathroom, spilling his stomach contents into the porcelain bowl. When his stomach was empty, he washed his hands and face in the sink. He brushed his teeth and mindlessly gargled mouthwash. He spit and rinsed the sink before returning to the living area. Megan sat on the couch, visibly shaken. Eyes wide and hands covered in blood.

"I'm a murderer." Isaac spoke slowly and barely a whisper. Her eyes snapped up to meet his.

"No." She said. "You did it to save me. You aren't. No." She repeated. "It was self-defence. You feared for our safety."

"It doesn't matter. What do you think a cop will assume when they see this? They'll think I'm a monster." Isaac said, downtrodden. "And they'd be right." He laughed bitterly.

"Don't you say that! You are not a monster!" Megan declared, eyes brimming with tears. "You are one of the best things that has ever happened to me. You're the love of my life, and I'm not letting you go down for this."

"You can't be suggesting that you take the fall for this?"

"Of course, that's what I'm suggesting. You get out of here through the window, and I'll tell the police it was me. I killed him."

"You are not taking the blame for this! I won't let you!"

"Well," she started. "Maybe I don't have to." she said slowly. She glanced back at the dead man. "He kinda looks like you, doesn't he?"

Isaac looked at him. "I guess.?"

She walked towards the body, winced and took out his wallet from his jacket pocket. She opened it and carefully pulled his ID from the wallet. "Give me your ID?" she asked, putting the man's in her pocket. He deliberated before handing it to her. She studied the ID before placing it in the dead man's wallet and handing back the dead man's ID to Isaac. She then waved her hand over the wallet, and the fingerprints she had left disappeared from the wallet. She gently placed the wallet back in his coat. She studied the dead man before waving her hand above his face, and his features changed. The man lying on the floor now resembled Isaac exactly.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Now, neither of us has to take the fall. Because I was never here and you," she pointed to the body. "Are dead."

"So, we're faking my death?" he asked, eyes widening.

"It's the only way to get out of here alive. But now," she said, looking at the window. "we have to get out of here." She walked over and unlatched the window. She opened it and climbed out into the patio. "Are you coming?" she asked, reaching out her hand. He glanced back at the body, then back at her. He picked up his cellphone from the table and climbed out after her. They then began their way up the fire escape onto the roof. She looked at the edge of the roof and cringed. "I hate heights." she stated. He gave her a small smile and intertwined their fingers.

"I love you so much." He said. She gave a small smile back as they ran back to the other side, building speed and jumped. They crashed onto the roof of the next building, and Isaac felt the wind completely knocked out of him. "You ok?" he asked when he finally had enough oxygen in his lungs to speak.

"I'm alive." She groaned. "But I'm never doing that again."

He tried to chuckle, which turned into a coughing fit. He sat up slowly, rubbing his head. He had never been more thankful to be a werewolf than in this moment. She attempted to sit up but went back down with a growl. "What's wrong?" he asked worriedly. He looked at her and did a visual scan of her body.

"I think I broke a rib." she groaned out. Fuck he thought to himself. She attempted to move her legs. She winced. "Also definitely broke my foot."

"Need me to reset them for you?" he asked, knowing just how painful that would feel, but if he didn't soon, her rib and foot would heal wrong, and they'd have to be broken again to reset. She nodded quickly, and he walked over to her. "Deep breath." she did as instructed, and he pulled on her ankle, putting it in the proper position. She screamed out in pain, and his eyes teared from the pain he had inflicted on her. "I'm sorry." he said.

"It's..ok.." She grumbled out, holding his hand again. He brought their hands to his mouth and kissed each knuckle.

"Does it feel like it's gonna pierce your lung?" he asked. She shook her head.

"No. It was a cl-clean break." she stuttered. "It hurts to breathe because of the movement, but it should heal fast." He nodded and held his hand over her rib. He winced as black veins became visible on his arm. Her pain eased as he took it, and soon her rib had healed completely. "Good thing you took CPR and First Responders training in high school." She joked.

"Oh yeah. That and Lycanthropy 101.". He added, pulling her up to her feet. She chuckled. "Are you good to walk down from here?"

"Should be fine as long as we don't have to jump buildings." She said, looking at him. Her eyes widened. "Isaac, your arm." She said, making him aware of the uncomfortable feeling in his arm. He looked down and noticed one arm seemed slightly longer than the other. "Deep breath." She echoed as she wrapped her fingers around his shoulder. He inhaled deeply as she popped his shoulder back in its socket.

"Holy fuck." He cursed out.

"I'm sorry, baby." She said sadly.

"It's alright." He said, leading her to this building's fire exit. They climbed down until they reached the sidewalk and scurried around the side farthest from Isaac's apartment building and staying hidden from cameras.

"Should we call in an anonymous tip?" he asked.

"I don't think so. It just makes it seem like someone was involved, and they might trace our number." She pointed out.

"Right." He nodded. "Have you done this before?"

"What covered up a murder for my long-term boyfriend? No, it's a new thing for me."

"Right. Of course."

"But it'll be ok, Is." She said, squeezing his hand. He looked down at her. "We can get through this. You and I can get through anything." She gave a tiny smile that didn't meet her eyes, and he nodded.

"Together."

"Exactly."