Impending Election

Start from the beginning

"Yes, that still stands, but I might as well give you a little tidbit that might ease your nerves about the whole situation. That spell...it's almost broken; the tangle of magic is only hanging by a single thread. That became evident as I watched you two interact just now." Ali explains confidently.

"Hanging by a...thread? What's keeping it intact then?" I ask curiously.

"Well...spells affect every person a little differently, but I suspect it's some kind of mental hang-up that has snagged the spell and is keeping it in effect." Ali continues.

"A mental hang-up...huh?" I mutter.

"Yes, maybe she wants to stay like that...for you, but that is just a guess on my part. She seemed alright with staying the way she currently is if you wanted her to; that's my reasoning." Ali ponders.

"Wait, what?!"

"Well...Miss Azazel did say almost exactly that, Iruma-boy!" he adds.

"Ameri did say that didn't she...but I told her to do what she wants and I'll stay with her either way." I clarify, trying to shut down where Ali is trying to go with this.

If that was the case, then the spell would've broken when I told Ameri that I don't want her to stay like this.

"'Stay with her' hmmm...?" Ali asks, seemingly smirking at me despite not having a mouth.

"As her friend!" I insist.

Ali lazily retreats back into the ring, still chuckling to himself as he does.

"It's getting late...I should get back to the dorms..." I mutter to myself.

The sun was already setting when I met with Ameri and by looking out a window nearby. I can tell that it was now definitely time to start settling in for the night.

Grandpa has been pretty upset that I've been staying here the last couple of nights; he keeps calling and texting me, wanting to know if I'm alright and sleeping well. Rimuru has also not been coming home, apparently, but she hasn't been sleeping in the dorms either. I guess she hasn't been sleeping then, not that she needs it though.

Tomorrow is the election so I'm quite nervous, but there isn't much else I can do at this point. I really do think things will turn out alright after the conversation I had with Ameri, in combination with Rimuru's reassurances and Ali's explanation that the spell is on the verge of wearing off. This means I should be able to sleep peacefully and not be kept up by my worries about it, hopefully.

But that's, unfortunately, the case since inside I'm still dwelling on the entire mess, worried about what is gonna happen tomorrow. I have faith in Ameri, I believe Ali and Rimuru's words, I know that either way, things will work out and I'll live with it but I'm still anxious!

As I lay in the somewhat-unfamiliar bed in the dorms, my head buzzes with potential outcomes for tomorrow, along with pondering the real meaning behind Ameri's words.

**Earlier**

Rimuru POV

A crowd has already gathered around Ronove and me, annoying me some since I didn't want to draw tons of attention when grabbing him for interrogation. It seems unavoidable now, though.

I could actually use this, now that I think about it.

After all my years as a demon lord, I know how to lead a crowd in the direction I want. Basic public speaking skills paired with charm and charisma; those are talents I've cultivated over those couple of decades.