CHAPTER NINETY TWO

Start from the beginning

The door swung open and almost knocked her back, but she just pushed past whoever opened it to get out. The relief of escaping the crowded space was minimal, as the outside hallway was just as crowded if not more. And the music, much, much louder. Lights flashed, playing tricks in her eyes and dancing across her skin.

She couldn't remember anything.

She remembered being on the dance floor with Caroline. She remembered drinking the blood— but everything past that was a blur.

Lifting her shaky hands to her face, she examined the blood underneath her fingernails. And she wondered if that's what'd she'd been smelling.

But it wasn't that, that was too little, it was in her hair, and on her clothes.

It was potent, a smell that had never been so distinct in her life. It was metallic not only in taste, but so much in its smell that it almost hurt to breathe in.

It wasn't her own, no, but it was a girl's. She could tell the difference. It was cleaner, and had more of a tang.

She brought her hands up to her eyes, wiping them with the back of her wrists as the music filled her ears. She was stood stagnant in the busy hallway, but was being continuously pushed back and fourth by the party-goers.

Hearing every word they say, every breath they let out. Smelling every single different perfume, or cologne, that was failing to mask the scent of blood and sweat.

Her entire arms were trembling, not due to any form of anxiety, but because she was struggling so hard not to latch onto the nearest person— and tear them apart.

She had forgotten who she was, her own internal dialogue was a stranger to her and every movement felt new and undiscovered.

Bringing her hands back down off her eyes, she stood firm against the moving crowd as a new scent, one that was so familiar and distinct, met her nose.

Her heavy eyes fell amongst the people, listening to every word that fell from their lips as she tried to match the smell to the body.

But it wasn't the smell that led her to the discovery, it was the pressuring feeling of eyes on her back. Her head turned first, then her eyes.

Kai stood at the end of the hallway, his eyes glued on her long before she met his gaze. Damon stood behind him, still looking around, assumedly for her.

He was unmoving, the both of them were, as they stood at different ends of the busy, narrow hallway.

Regretful, he spoke to Damon, yet Daisy could hear it in full. "Found her." Kai says.

Damon looked up, then followed his gaze to the girl. He huffed. "Looks like it's too late." He responded.

Daisy felt a small laugh creep up from the pit of her stomach, but only let out a small scoff. She wasn't sure what he thought he was here to do, but the fact that he was too late to do anything brought her pride. His eyes were unreadable, a mix of guilt, and almost admiration.

"Can you handle her?" Damon asks. "I have to find Caroline."

Kai glances to Damon for a second as he nods, but as he looks back up to Daisy— she was nowhere to be seen.