Chapter 4: Maximus

Start from the beginning

"Really, I insist on making sure you have a full recovery. If I'm right, you have to go back to school anyway in 2 weeks. Please just allow me to stay until then so I can make sure your alright?"

"As my daughter said, that is not necessary Alpha Alexander-" the Alpha was cut off.

"Mr. Alexander if it that important to you, we would be happy to have you stay with us," my mate gleamed.

"Miss Evelyn, thank you for your understanding! And please," I paused and met her eyes, "call me Maximus."

"If that's the case, then please call me Evelyn. Miss Evelyn makes me sound like I'm old," she laughed.

My heart pounded in my chest at the quickly ended and yet melodious sound of her laughter. It was like watching butterflies be free from a cage, and hearing a symphony for the first time. I wanted to hear more. My reverie was broken by the sound of a grumpy old Alpha's voice.

"Well, if that's all Evelyn, then would you mind giving us the room to discuss business?" her father turned to her and asked.

She nodded her head but I didn't miss the suspicious glance she tossed his way. If my earlier observations had been correct, my mate was very intelligent and also direct. She was purposely avoiding something. I was curious to know what it was.

She walked up to him, offering him a hug and kiss on the cheek before exiting. My eyes followed as she trailed out of the room, noticing her peak over her shoulder to look at me and then furiously blush when her eyes met mine. I felt electrified.

When the door shut, I expected the Alpha to lash out at me, but instead when I turned around, he simply sighed.

"Maximus, you will have the two weeks to spend with her. Only those two weeks, then it's up to her. I won't allow you to tell her she's your mate but if you can woe her and get her to return home with you- which won't happen- then it's up to you," he said.

His eyes met mine, his face set firm in a air of finality. I knew this time there would be no argument. There would be no argument because I agreed. Even if I could take the old man out, right then and there with my bare hands, not even considering my pack, I couldn't harm the father of the love of my life.

"2 weeks," I nodded with a smile, "thank you Alpha Smith."

I paused, remembering my original intention of being there. "And the peace treaty?"

"Yes, we will renew and sign the peace treaty," he nodded.

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

It was dinner time, and Evelyn's mother had insisted she stay in bed all day. She refused to let me go and check on her, much to the agitation of my wolf who was pacing and whining in concern. When she finally came out for dinner, it took all the control in me to not grab her and bundle her into a tight hug.

Instead, I acted with restraint and simply asked her, "How are you feeling?"

"Well rested! Thank you for asking," she pushed around the peas and carrots on her plate.

"Besides fainting," I paused as she chuckled, "how have you enjoyed your time off from school?"

"It's been wonderful! I always miss my parents even if I make regular visits on the weekend," she smiled endearingly at them.

"Yes, Evelyn and us have always been very close, she even refused to move to a college more than a few towns over," her mother smiled back.

"That's wonderful," I smiled images of my mate and our children from the dream crossing my mind. Looking at her, I imagined the doting mother and kind wife I could already tell she would make.

"In fact," her father chimed in, "Evelyn is so devoted she even refuses to date anybody," the old man grinned at me.

"Dad," Evelyn groaned before looking at me and then down at the peas, "That's not entirely true. I'm just... picky. I don't see relationships as something that's for fun, I think it's serious and something with the goal of marriage long term. Most guys don't seem to understand that or share that same sentiment."

I half smiled. It was a wonder her parents hadn't figured out she was a werewolves mate considering her perspective. It seemed the mate bond had always held her back from having a relationship with anyone.

"That's a sentiment you and I share," I smiled at her, leading to a beautiful rose color gracing her cheeks,  "what is it you are studying?" I asked in an attempt to change the topic.

"Business Administration, I'm hoping to one day be able to help my father with his business and also maybe open a business of my own. I want to bring more infrastructure to Ice Valley and help our town grow."

My chest warmed as I thought of what an amazing Luna she would make. She already demonstrated a Luna's thoughtfulness and kindness so well.

"How is the program at the school your attending?"

"Oh it's alright, but to be frank, it isn't the best," she shrugged.

"Evelyn turned down UCLA, UWashington, Princeton, and Yale all to stay close to home," her mother sorrowfully smiled turning towards her daughter, "Selfishly, I'm glad you wanted to stay near us, but it's bittersweet that you couldn't go to the school you deserve."

We continued on our dinner, the topic changing to address her fathers plans to build on current infrastructure and boost Ice Valley's economy. I proposed different ways I could help, but in thé back of my mind, I couldn't help the wheels turning in my head about how to make my mate fall in love with me.

As we said our good nights, I caught Evelyn in the hall.

"Evelyn?"

She paused her steps and turned around, "Yes?"

"What are your plans for tomorrow?" I asked, taking tentative steps towards her.

"I- oh-um-" she got flustered as I got nearer. Internally, I was happy by my presence's effect on her. "Well, I don't know if I have any plans tomorrow."

"Would you mind showing me around town then? It looked nice yesterday evening when I drove past," I rubbed my head glancing to the floor. Unbeknownst to me, she was staring at my flexed muscles as I did so.

"Oh- I- Of course! Sorry," she rubbed one of her arms, "I'm a bit tired. I would love to show you around town though," she smiled.

"Wonderful, thank you," I smiled back, "good night."

"Good night Maximus," she whispered back.

She walked down the hall quietly, heading into her room. Then, I slowly headed towards the guest room at the other end of the hall. Getting in the room, I took off my clothes and folded them, placing them on the large brown oak dresser in the guest room. I put on my flannel pants, looking into the mirror that hung above the dresser. Placing my hands on both sides of it, I spoke aloud to myself.

"I'm going to get her."

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵