↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Start from the beginning

The occasional morning sickness that she had been experiencing since her pregnancy had been confirmed had gotten much worse in the past four days. She felt like she couldn't avoid vomiting anymore, and it hit her at the most random times. She could feel on top of the world all morning, and all of a sudden, hell would break loose, and if she didn't make it to the bathroom in time, she would soil anything in her way.

Needless to say, she felt awful a lot of the time. And on the occasions where she didn't, she wanted to engage in anything enjoyable...one of those occasions just so happened to be at three in the morning last night.

Her stomach lurched again, and she coughed into the toilet, but nothing came out, nothing but a thick wad of mucus, that is. She spat, and then moved away. She collapsed on the tile floor, pressing her back against the wall. She raised a shaky hand to her forehead, her chest heaving with labored breaths. Now, a headache had just sparked behind her eyes.

Standing outside, George noticed how quiet it got in the bathroom and looked down at his watch. He heard the toilet flush. "Your appointment is in two hours," he said to Alexandria.

He waited for a response, but the door only opened, causing him to stumble against it. Alexandria scowled as George regained his balance. "Thanks for that," she said. "See what I mean by disgusting?" she asked bitterly. Then, she pushed her way past George.

Before she could successfully flee the scene, George caught her by the arm. "You're not disgusting," he said.

"Thought your mum taught you better than to lie," Alexandria grumbled.

George fixed both of his hands on her elbows, and she folded her arms around herself insecurely. "I'm not lyin'," George insisted.

"Well, I feel disgusting," she said. "I know this pregnancy has only just begun and I should be grateful that it's happening at all...but I'm really wishing that it was at least going a bit smoother, y'know." Alexandria frowned.

George moved his arms, placing them around Alexandria's back. "I know you do," he answered. "I wish it wasn't so hard on you too."

Alexandria leaned forward and placed her head against his chest, closing her eyes. "I've got a headache now," she murmured. "All for this ruddy baby."

George smiled to himself. "My strong little bird," he mused. "I love you."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"What sort of symptoms have you had since we last saw each other?"

Hadley Anderson had been Alexandria's choice when she had embarked on finding a midwife. Their first meeting had been a few days ago. Hadley had asked an hour's worth of questions. She wanted to know everything about her new patient. She needed to know everything, just to be sure that she caught whenever something was even just barely off. Alexandria's past miscarriage and her endometriosis caused a horde of concerns. If any problems were to arise, Hadley wanted to be sure that she caught them before they got any worse.

"Well, the morning sickness has become...a bit hellish," Alexandria admitted. "And honestly, that is putting it quite mildly. Sometimes, it just comes out of nowhere. I'll be all fine and dandy, and then...then, I'm running for the loo. And when I say I'm running, I mean I am running." Alexandria put an exasperated hand to her forehead just thinking about it. "It's awful."

A haunted look clouded Alexandria's eyes, and Hadley chuckled. "Well, generally, the morning sickness will get better after the first trimester is over," she said.

"Well, that's a relief," Alexandria responded. "I can't wait until then."

"Any other symptoms?"

"Well, I get a lot of headaches," Alexandria elaborated. "And a lot of back pain. Those are the most prominent ones, I think. My legs get a little crampy during the day, I get winded easily, I'm using the bathroom a lot, sleeping a lot." Alexandria paused, her cheeks flushing red as she hesitated.