CH 22: THE AFFAIR

Start from the beginning

Qing Mei was really truly perturbed. She recalled the last time she accompanied He Yan to the Fan family. He Yan's eyes were red from crying and she had almost been killed in the Fan mansion. At that time, the madam of the Fan family had peered down at them and had condescendingly remarked, "People should know their own places instead of always thinking of climbing high branches and staring at the impossible things, so as not to fall and be ridiculed."

The irony inside and out of the story was really harsh. Finally, He Yan had lost her breath and fainted. He Sui had asked the doctor to come and visit her. The doctor had said that she collapsed due to cardiac arrest. At that time, everyone thought that He Yan was doomed to die after this attack and would not make it. They didn't expect that when she woke up, she seemed to turn into a totally different person, not even mentioning Fan Cheng at all.

Even though Fan Cheng came to pester her Miss, she never entangled herself with him and tried to make a clear-break.

Qing Mei was a little relieved, but she was still concerned. He Yan patted her on the shoulder and comforted her, "Don't worry, no one will bully you."

Qing Mei inexplicably felt at ease.

The two of them left together. The Fan family lived far away from the He family, and it took them a long time to get there. Qing Mei pointed to the scarlet gate of a house and said, "This is the Fan mansion."

He Yan thought for a moment and said, "It's not convenient for me to go over there. You take these things and give them to the gatekeeper. Tell him that they were sent by Fan gongzi to the He family, and that they must be handed over to Fan gongzi."

Qing Mei nodded, "This servant understands."

He Yan then hid behind the pillar facing the street and watched Qing Mei walking to the guard. She conveyed her Miss' orders and gave the basket containing the gift to the guard. She returned to He Yan, smiling, "This servant has said everything!"

"Well done," He Yan said, "Let's go back."

*

In the main house of the Fan family, because of the recent marriage, the layout of the house was still red and festive. Tang Ying, Cheng Wu Lang's eldest daughter, was spoiled and domineering from childhood. Because of the relationship with Lord Tang, the Fan family had to spoil her. Now she has just been married into the Fan family for a few months and had become the head of the Fan family from both inside and out.

The pageboy knocked at the door.

"Come in." Tang Ying was sitting on the soft couch, admiring the embroidery she had just made.

After the boy came in, he kowtowed to Tang Ying, and then said, "Madam, a servant girl just came outside the door and sent in a basket and said she wanted to give it to the young master."

When Tang Ying heard this she made a movement and looked at the boy, "Servant girl? What basket? Bring it here and let me a look."

The boy carried the basket forward.

Tang Ying picked it up and fiddled with it a few times, and when she saw that it was full of women's satin cloth and rouge powder, she became furious, "What is this?"

The young man dared not speak.

The maid next to her said, "These are all things for women, Madam. The young master doesn't use these, so it must be......"

"It must be that he wanted to fawn over some lady, and she returned them to him!" Tang Ying stood up abruptly and brushed the porcelain cups off the table, and the porcelain crackled all over the floor. She looked ferocious and said, "Fan Cheng, this bastard!"

The maid reminded her, "Madam, it's not impossible to investigate the young master, but you must not give him a chance to be alert."

Tang Ying calmed down a little and then said, "That's right. There's no reason to guard against thieves for a thousand days.2 If she was from a good family, how could she collude with Fan Cheng? I think that slut was just trying to get him. Damn it!"

She instructed the boy who kept his head down, "From today onward, you are to follow Fan Cheng. See where he goes and who he meets. You are to report everything directly to me. I would like to see what kind of fox has enchanted him. I want to meet that bitch...... I must make this couple pay a hefty price!"

The young man nodded his head and retreated.

The servant girl persuaded, "Madam, calm down. We must remain indifferent so as to prevent any suspicion. If the young master got suspicious, he might hide the woman."

"I know." Tang Ying clenched her fists tightly. "In the past, when I dismissed his beautiful concubines, he never uttered a word, but now I see that he has become so fearless that he is not taking even me, his rightful wife, in his eyes."

1 to raise the roof: It means to be extremely noisy and boisterous, complain loudly and angrily.

2 No reason to guard against thieves for a thousand days: It means people have limited energy, let alone coping passively, which consumes more energy. It is difficult to achieve long-term prevention, and there are always times of negligence.