chapter 5: POVERTY

He Yun Sheng wondered why he was having such a prolonged dream.

His sister followed him up the hill this morning, chopped wood, and, lastly, took out the light refreshments she hadn't eaten at breakfast to share with him. He Yun Sheng wanted to reject at first, but the sweet fragrance had already crept into his nose. Seeing He Yan lowering her head to bite her own, he also reached out his hand to grab the one she had offered him.

He took a bite; his taste buds had never experienced such a sweet flavor. He Yan was never the generous type and had kept all good things to herself.

Seeing that he was delighted to have it, He Yan put the rest of the dish in his hands and said: "I'm full. You can eat the rest."

He Yun Sheng was awestruck.

There were only two children in the He Family. When he was a youth, He Sui used to be a guard who delivered stuff to Jing Cheng Capital. He had rescued the daughter of a scholar from the cruel hands of bandits. She was the scholar's only daughter and He Sui was an orphan. To show his gratitude, the scholar offered his daughter's hand to He Sui.

The scholar and his wife passed away due to an epidemic. He Furen was depressed and did not last long. She died of grief when He Yun Sheng was only three, leaving He Sui and his children behind.

He Sui and his wife had been deeply in love. He Yan was the miniature form of He Furen. Maybe it was because of this, He Sui favored He Yan. Even though the He Family wasn't wealthy, He Sui tried his best to fulfill all of He Yan's wishes. Over time, He Yan became more spoiled and snobbish; at least that was what He Yun Sheng believed.

However, after she recovered from her sickness, her actions became incomprehensible; He Yun Sheng didn't know how to face her anymore.

"You come up here to chop wood every day?" He Yan asked him, "What do you do in the afternoon? Don't you go to school?"

He Yun Sheng was just a year younger than He Yan. He was fifteen this year, and the children at this age ought to be attending school.

"After I return home, I make Da Nai1 cakes and sell it under the shed after noon. Forget about school," He Yun Sheng said with a wave of his hand, "You already know that our family isn't wealthy. I have some knowledge in a few subjects and I am not bent on learning the martial arts."

Even though he spoke carelessly, He Yan could clearly see the regret and desire he tried so desperately to hide from her in his eyes.

She paused and then asked: "What do you plan to do in the future?"

"What are you asking this for?" He Yun Sheng asked doubtfully, but he answered He Yan's question after a moment, "I go to the drill fields every day. I can become a part of the backup armies of the town after I pass the tests in the future. In time, I'll get promoted to an officer rank. At that time, I can earn money."

"That's it? An officer without any duties?" He Yan smiled, "I thought you wanted to do something worthwhile."

"What can I do?" He Yun Sheng quipped: "You want me to become someone like General Fei Hong? Although we have the same surnames, he's in a much higher level compared to us."

Hearing this name come out from He Yun Sheng's mouth all of the sudden, He Yan was stunned. She was silent for a while before asking: "You know General Fei Hong?"

"Of course I do! Who in Da Wei doesn't? General Fei Hong brought peace to Xi Qiang and General Feng Yun stopped the barbarians. Since then, no one dared to attack our country, Da Wei! The chivalry, fame, and bravery of the two young men! If I could be like one of them, it's even worth dying for."