CH 18: THE FIRST ENCOUNTER

General Fei Hong and General Feng Yun were famous for being conflicting and were always locked in constant strife. However, He Yan always felt it was dramatizing.

They were both young men that joined the army with exceptional military achievements, so they were often pitted against each other. The various rumors that circulated around were just exaggerations to add spice to the story. So the rumors spread until it all became a rather strange tale to tell.

Little He Yan being only fourteen years old, was exceptionally kindhearted and bore no hostility towards Young Master Xiao.

As time passed, she got used to being disguised as a man, so being He Ru Fei was pretty easy. There was only one difficulty, that was, once the young boys reached a certain age, they were to be sent to an academy to learn.

Back then, the lives of men and women were contrasting. Young girls could invite teachers to their homes, whereas boys could not. The He family summoned a teacher to teach their young boy, but as he grew older, they realized that they would be laughed at if anyone else came to know.

Knowing this, they stopped summoning the teacher and sent He Yan to the Xiang Chang Institute to learn when he turned fourteen.

The Xiang Chang Institute was the most prestigious academy in all of the capital city. The founder of the academy was the former crown prince. Students learned the six arts, from teachers who were the leaders of the Imperial Court.

Although the He family had a title of nobility, they were still inferior to the other families in the institute.

Who would have thought He Yuan Liang would have such good luck? One day, when he was at a restaurant, he encountered a dispute and intervened in it, speaking out for one side. Surprisingly, he had helped a teacher who worked at Xiang Chang Institute who had just selected new students. He had even remembered that the He family had an illegitimate son. So to return the favor, he asked him to enroll in the institute.

He Yuan Liang had hesitated a long time concerning this matter. He even discussed it with He Yuan Sheng.

He Yuan Sheng was the type of person who set his heart on pursuing wealth and fame, so he thought the idea was feasible. If He Yan got enrolled in the Xiang Chang Institute, he would be in the company of children who came from reputed noble families. That would give him an edge, and the title alone 'Xiang Chang Institute's Student' would be of great help for his future.

When He Yan heard about this, she was ecstatic.

Even though she cross-dressed, she still followed all the rules women had to. Well, one thing she understood was never to kick a man's private parts. Well, if you did, better be prepared with your shoes to run. Second was to never appear in public and to practice martial arts hidden from society as it was a patriarchal society. However, she would be deemed an incompetent woman. The daughters of the other noble families learned the piano, chess, calligraphy and painting. It was difficult for He Yan, as she was disguised as He Ru Fei.

Earlier, it seemed like it was impractical, but going to Xiang Chang Institute was different. There were myriad talents there, all of them being the same age as her. If she attended the institute, she could learn from the best while making friends and gaining experience. That was something other women could never be able to do, and she suddenly felt lucky for being able to accept He Ru Fei's identity.

He Yuan Sheng's wife, her nominal mother and her great aunt were present when she got the finely crafted mask. They were apprehensive and told her, "You must be careful and never let anybody find out your true identity".

He Yan nodded.

She did not want to wear the mask. Although being light, it was uncomfortable and stuffy, only revealing her eyes and chin. She had worn this mask for many years; never taking it off, even while sleeping.