Vol. 1, Chapter 3 - Newbie's Introduction

Start from the beginning

Of course, in order to get her to do it unilaterally since it was an unreasonable
task I pushed on her, I proposed an exam to see who won.

"There's still some things I'm not satisfied with, but I'll put it as convenient."

This should be related to the part about the bounty that Horikita had mentioned. By entering the student council, the possibility of gaining information about that should go up.

"I get you wanted to discuss this with me, but why do you need me to go with you?" I asked Horikita.

"Well, I'd like to show you using the meeting with Nagumo as evidence."

To prevent the situation if the student council rejected her to show that she
didn't lie.

"If President Nagumo has something to do with that bounty, we might also
see some kind of reaction."

Indeed, we might get a lead on the 20 million point bounty.

"You have a point. In that case, I have no objections."

"By the way, I want to ask you something. Feel free not to answer. It's about your friend."

I knew she was gonna ask this sooner or later. She's probably checked his OAA evaluation.

"What do you want to ask me?"

"I've checked his OAA evaluation. He's very skilled in both his physical ability and academics. By anything, only Nagumo-senpai probably has him beat in the over all evaluation. It also seems he's also well-versed in martial arts like Nii-san, and yourself. I wanted to know why he was placed in class D."

That's understandable. Given Karma's high ratings in both academics and physical abilities, it's normal to question his placement. His adaptability is also decent. They most likely based his evaluation during his time in junior high.

"I don't want to say too much since I don't want to bad mouth him."

"It's fine, but if you could at least give me a hint."

I chose my words carefully.

"Let's just say, he was a bit of a troubled child."

"Troubled child?"

"Remember how Sudo kept picking fights? That's basically Karma, but instead of picking fights out of provocation, and hot-headedness like Sudo, Karma does it out of pure pleasure. He also doesn't make an effort to cover his tracks, which solidified his reputation as a violent delinquent."

I said I wouldn't bad mouth him. Well there goes that

"I see. So behavioral issues." Horikita says, understanding the reason for his placement.

"If you're gonna get him to cooperate, make sure he faces some competition. He loves competing, especially against strong opponents. Whether that be academics or physical activites, as long as he gets to face strong opponents, he'll participate."

In all my years knowing Karma, that was always what he looked forward to; the thrill of a challenge. However, this isn't the White Room, and we don't have assassins as part of our class, nor an octopus teacher who can move at Mach 20.

Still, if he decides to cooperate, he'll be a great asset, though it's not wise to rely on him too much.

"I see. In that case I'll think of something. Seeing as how capable he is in academics and athletics may give us the edge in exams."

"Just don't expect me to talk to him about that though. I'll leave that to you so you can get to know him."

"I understand. By the way, there's something else I have to tell you about. When you had your little scuffle earlier, Kushida-san tried to pit the class against you again."