Chapter Six

Stepping out the door, it was already getting dark. Luckily, New Orleans winters are mild, but it was definitely getting too cool for comfort.

We located our Uber driver and had an uneventful ride to the club, aside from the terrible traffic. As usual, when we were just a few traffic-jammed blocks from Barely, we thanked our driver and hopped out of the car.

Once my feet hit the ground, everything really sunk in. My heart skipped a beat. I was excited and anxious all at the same time. I was going to be on the stage. There were going to be tons of people watching me. Including Jay.

Holy fuck.

Including Jay.

Brie grabbed my hand, snapping me back into reality and out of an oncoming panic attack.

"We're going to have so much fun tonight," she encouraged, noticing my anxiety.

"If I can get out of my head, maybe."

"You will. We'll pre-game, practice until you're comfortable, and everyone's energy will be there for you to feed off of."

I sighed, trying to calm my nerves. "I know. Once I get going, it'll be great," I replied, trying to make myself believe what I was saying.

We walked through the same doors I'd walked through hundreds of times before. I thought it felt different yesterday, but I can't even explain the feelings I had walking in today.

Before giving myself the chance to second guess this night and my entire life, I made a beeline for the bar.

"Mare!" I yelled.

"Jennie!" she screeched. "I am so excited to watch you tonight, girlfriend. You're gonna kill it."

"And it will all be thanks to you as long as we keep these drinks flowing!" I laughed.

"Dark n' Stormy?"

"No time. Vodka Cran."

"You got it." She poured a double shot of Grey Goose into a cup and sprayed cranberry juice to the top, handing it to me in record time. I slammed it like a large shot.

"I'm gonna need a Truly while I get ready," I smiled.

Mare laughed, reaching into the mini fridge. "How about two?"

"You know me so well." We laughed. I walked back towards the stage where Brie was talking to one of the dancers.

"Jenna! This is Dara," she introduced me to a beautiful, tall girl with dark hair and olive skin.

"Hi! I've seen you around here, of course, but don't think we've ever formally met," she greeted me with a smile.

"Yes! It's so nice to meet you," I smiled back.

"I'll let y'all get to it, but it's gonna be such a great night. I heard Jack Harlow and his team booked one of the VIP tables."

"Really? Wow, that's cool," I responded, acting astonished. I really couldn't care less, but maybe that meant more money, if he was interested. Dara walked back towards the stage as Brie and I headed into the dressing room.

There were only a few other girls in the room, but I knew more would be rolling in soon. Brie and I sat down at her station, unpacking our bags. Most of Brie's stuff was already here, but I had to pack my entire life.

"So, is Jay coming tonight?" Brie asked, helping me hang up my outfits.

"Is he?! God, how did I forget to tell you? He and a couple of his friends booked one of the VIPs."