Chapter 1 RotSB

This a work of fiction. All characters and events portrayed in this story are either products of the writer's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Return of the Sword Bearer

Copyright © 2011 by P.J. Fear (aka pjlshinypenny)

All Rights Reserved.

===================================================================================

To my Family for giving me the courage to post this.

===================================================================================

The wind was blowing slightly through the trees of Dorchadas Forest. The branches swayed to the gentle rhythm of the breeze. The early morning light was shining through the high canopy, but it was dark enough that she could watch from the safety of the trees. She knew the young man and as he lay dying on the forest floor after being gored by a large boar. There was a war going on inside of her; her head was screaming to let him die where he laid but her heart was whispering to save him. Even though it was a whisper; it was still way louder than her head. So she pulled the hood of her cloak up around her head to cover her face and she gripped her staff a little tighter both in fear and preparation of the meeting.  She was hoping that the man would not recognize her or her freedom could be lost to her forever.

            She stepped out from her hiding place and took a deep breath struggling to show a calmness that she was not feeling.  She limped towards the man moaning on the ground. Each steps made her shake with the rage from the last time she had seen this man.  The memories came to her as though it was yesterday and not four years ago. She stumbled, as the forest disappeared and the memories of the past taken hold.

            Four years ago: She made her way down the stairs on her way to the kitchen.  It was her sixteenth birthday and she wanted a strawberry cake.  She caught the sight of two of her brothers older at the far end of the hall and she slipped into a room to avoid a confrontation.  This was her day and she just didn’t want any trouble.  She didn’t know why everyone was cruel to her, but she was not going to worry about that today.

            When she heard her brothers pass she quietly slipped down the hall to the kitchen.  The kitchen was bustling with morning activities.  She slipped through the kitchen staff trying not to get in their way and made her way to the head baker.  He was as plump as he was tall and this always made her smile to herself.  He was talking to one of the young boys that assist in the kitchen.  She waited patiently until the baker was done talking before approaching him.

            “Hello, Mister Luke.”  The head baker just grunted a reply.

            So she decided to proceed with her question, “I was wondering if I could have a strawberry cake for my birthday?”

            Before she could react his large meaty hand came around faster then she could imagine.  Its strike was hard across her face and she flew back hitting her head against the table.  She shook her head to clear it, reached up and wiped blood from her lip.  When she looked up the baker towered over her. 

            “Do I look like I have time to pick strawberries?  Do I have slaves to do my work? NO!” He yelled so the whole kitchen staff could hear.  If the kitchen staff was not paying attention, they were paying attention now.

            She looked at him a little frighten and whispered, “I could pick them.”

            He glared down at her as if he was running through his list of things to do.  Finally he spoke in a growl, “If you pick them, I’ll see.”