X

Will had never seen one of the Afflicted. They were supposed to be so corrupted that the Eternal Light hurt them. His imagination was full of people with horrific burns.

A grim expression settled on Matthew's face as he knocked on a door.

"Come in," called a dry, cracked voice.

Matthew hurried inside, as did Kate and Shin, after taking some supplies from the box. More uneasy than he wanted to admit, Will lingered in the hall for a moment before joining them.

Rot lingered in the air, and Will almost choked on the stench. The wispy illumination from the hall cast only the faintest of lights on the room. Decorated with peeling yellow wallpaper, a cross hung on the wall in defiance of the laws against those ancient symbols. A few cans sat in the corner beside a pile of books. Matthew knelt beside a mattress on the floor.

The person lying on the mattress turned to Matthew. "You shouldn't have come here."

"I'm sorry, Mama," he said. "But today was the best time to bring supplies."

Shadows obscured Matthew's mother, making it too difficult for Will to get a look at her. Though he wanted to dart forward and see the Affliction, he held himself back in respect.

Matthew's mother pushed her thin body up, waving off her son's attempts to help. "Someone else could have done it. I don't ask for much, but I don't need to worry about you getting lost in the Dark."

Kate walked over to an overturned crate serving as a table and set down some cans. "I'm sure the Edges aren't going to disappear tonight, Mrs. Burke."

Matthew's mother broke out into a coughing fit and picked up a cloth. When she finished, she looked in Kate's direction. "There is no way to be sure. You also shouldn't put yourself in danger. Your sister doesn't need more grief." She shook her head. "And I've told you to call me Anna."

"We won't be here long, Mama," Matthew said.

"We just wanted to bring some goods to everyone here," Kate said.

Anna coughed again. "Then go do it and hurry out of here as fast as you can. Make sure Jacob gets a little extra. He keeps giving his food away to the younger ones here, the old fool."

Kate nodded and went from the room. Will started to follow, but Shin blocked his way.

"Stay here," Shin said. "Not everyone here wants a rich boy gawking at them."

Will swallowed his protest as Shin slipped from the room. Awkward as mother and son had a hushed conversation, Will inched toward the door. He didn't intend to barge in on anyone, but wanted to wait in the hallway.

Anna straightened up and her gaze fell on Will. "And who is this?"

"That's the boy who helped Kate." Matthew nodded at him. "You remember I told you about him?"

"Of course," she said in her raspy voice. "I'm surprised he would come to this house of death tonight."

"I... wanted to help," Will said.

Still shrouded by shadows, only a hint of unnatural lesions showed on her face. "You're a good boy, but you shouldn't have come here. As I keep telling my son, it's dangerous. You children treat defying the Sacred State as a game."

The words stung Will. "I don't!"

She held up a hand that was covered in bandages. "Bring me some water, lad."

Matthew half-rose. "I can do that, Mama."

She shook her head. "No. Let the young man do it."

Will fumbled in the shadowy room before finding a pitcher. A bit of tepid water splashed over his fingers as he poured it into an old, chipped mug. Though coldness crept into Will's bones, the iciness of the Edges had no effect on the water. He approached Anna and offered her the water.