Chapter 22

Alexis didn't even last the night.

Ingrid hardly got to meet her before she dropped dead in the courtyard, apparently having been poisoned. Though she didn't trust Lucien, she didn't think he could be responsible for it, which made her nervous, because if he hadn't orchestrated this, then who had?

But their question was answered the next morning.

"Klaus," she said, calling him from the courtyard, where she'd found a dead woman laying in a bed of purple flowers. "There's a corpse and a note over a whole lot of lavender in the courtyard. Thought you should know."

"What the bloody hell are you talking about?" he asked sharply.

"Well, I don't know, but it seems like some sort of message. Or warning. You deal with it, I need to speak to Freya before she disappears again."

She cornered Freya before she could slip away. "Hey, I need to talk," said Ingrid. "You've been acting weird, what's wrong?"

"It's nothing," said Freya shyly. "Did you ah— want to try that spell you mentioned, seeing into Alexis's memories? The last few things she saw?"

"It's too late for that now, she's been dead far too long, plus Lucien took her. You vanished after she was brought back— why?"

Freya pulled her into the room. "Alexis kissed me."

Ingrid's eyebrows shot up. "She did? Why?"

"To show me the visions directly... or something... I don't even know, the point is she kissed me."

"And... how does that make you feel? Violated? Angry?"

Freya blushed. "None of those. It felt good. I almost wished she hadn't pulled away."

Ingrid managed a smile. "And you think you might want to kiss a girl again, sometime soon?"

"Maybe... I don't know, I'm still thinking about it. Our family is in danger, they don't need me distracted with trying to figure out my sexuality."

"Freya, for once, put yourself first. If you want to take some time to think about it... you should. No matter what's happening here."

She pursed her lips. "Maybe I will do that, today."

"Good. Treat yourself to some alone time. Without drinking, preferably, so you can... think properly."

"And where will you be?"

"Cami invited me and Vincent to the Axeman's Jazz Fest, but I can—"

"No, no," said Freya. "Go with her. Are you taking Irene?"

"Yes, I think she'd like it. Are you sure, though? I can stay with you, we can talk some more."

"Go enjoy your day," insisted Freya. "Let our brothers deal with whatever is happening downstairs. For once, they can manage without us. Is there anything you wanted to discuss?"

Ingrid ignored the stinging on her chest from where the necklace had started to burn her. "Nope," she said kindly. "You enjoy your day, too."

Once Irene's bag was packed with all the necessary items she might need while out and about, Ingrid popped her into the stroller and walked through the streets until she found Cami and Vincent, who'd gotten themselves (and Ingrid) some coffee.

"Thanks," said Ingrid, kissing Cami's cheek.

"This still confuses me," said Cami, gesturing at the different tents that had been set up. "There is an active serial killer at large, and the city's response is to throw a serial-killer-themed festival?"