"Save me from what?"

"He just said that I had to save you, that nothing else mattered, and that if I couldn't, I'd..." He trailed off, looking at me for support. I nodded my head for him to continue, not able to breathe.

"You'd what, Dean?"

"That I'd have to kill you." I almost choked on the air rushing down my lungs. "He said that I might have to kill you, Sammy." I turned my back to them, my fingers gripping the glass bottle tightly.

"Kill me?" Sam asked, and I could hear the hurt in his voice. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know."

"I mean, he must have had some kind of reason for saying it, right?" Sam was yelling now, his anger rising. Mine was as well, and I had a hard time controlling myself. "Did he know the demon's plans for me? Am I supposed to go Darkside or something? What else did he say, Dean?"

"Nothing, that's it, I swear," Dean claimed.

"How could you not have told me this?" Sam demanded to know.

"Because it was Dad, and he begged me not to," Dean growled back.

"Who cares?! Take some responsibility for yourself, Dean! You had no right to keep this from me!"

"You think I wanted this? Huh? I wish to God he'd never opened his mouth," Dean snapped. "Then I wouldn't have to walk around with this screaming in my head all day."

I wanted to break something. Hit something. I looked down at the bottle in my hand and lunged it at the closest tree, making it shatter against the wood. 

"John, you fucking asshole," I said quietly to the river flowing by us. 

"We've just got to figure out what's going on, then, what the hell all this means," Sam said after a little while.

"We do?" Dean questioned. "I've been thinking about this, I think we should just lay low. You know? At least for a while. It'd be safer. And that way I can make sure —"

"What? That I don't turn evil?" Sam was smiling, but it was bitter and turned into a growl. "That I don't turn into some kind of killer?"

"I never said that."

"Jeez, if you're not careful, you will have to waste me one day, Dean." 

"I never said that!" Dean yelled. "Damnit, Sam, this whole thing is spinning out of control. All right? You're immune to some weirdo demon virus, and I don't even know what the hell anymore. And you're pissed at me, I get it. That's fine, I deserve it. But we lay low until we figure out our next move, okay?" I pulled a hand down my face, not knowing what to do.

"Forget it," Sam told him in a low tone, turning away.

"Sam, please, man." Dean tapped his arm to get his attention. "Hey, please. Just give me some time. Give me some time to think, okay? I'm begging you here, please. Please."

Sam nodded reluctantly, and it didn't take us long to cram back into the Impala to find the closest motel. No one said a word.

---

I woke up by someone slamming their fist on my door. Groggily I opened my eyes. It was still dark outside, and I groaned as another loud thump echoed through the room.

"Will!" Dean's panicked voice followed. I grabbed my gun from the nightstand and hurried over to the door, opening it up.

"Dean? What's going on?" I asked when he stepped in. I looked out and half expecting him to be followed. I quickly shut the door and locked it, turning to face him.