Prologue

Gaia was hovering in the air, mouth wide open in shock. She didn't understand what was happening. It was supposed to be easy. The small amount of blood from Percy's small wound, combined with Annabeth's open wound that she got from fighting Arachnae allowed her to fully awaken. She was supposed to take back her world. She was supposed to go back to her natural state untouched by the virus called Humans.

Instead here she was, a hole through her Primordial shard. It was essentially a heart of a primordial. The small, green crystal was slowly falling apart, dropping green fragments unto the grass and ground below her, some of the fragments touching Percy Jackson who was right under the crystal he destroyed. When she reached the ground, her strength felt like it was fading, along with the shard that allowed her to hold a physical entity.

Perseus Jackson was next to her, barely able to hold himself up without the help of Riptide. He looked down at her. In anger, in pity, in sympathy-- she didn't know what it was in his deep, sea-green eyes.

"Promise me one thing," she whispered to him, barely able to move a muscle. "Take care of this dying world while I'm asleep." She touched his soft cheek with her crumbling, earthen hands.

He put his hand to hers, "Of course. I, Percy Jackson, Swear on the river styx to do whatever I can to protect this world," He said, then he started to chuckle a bit, "As long as It doesn't inconvenience me or anyone around me of course." She managed a small laugh before it turned into a coughing fit. "You're an abysmal human you know that?" She was aware of the group of demigods and gods trying to climb their way up the hill she made with difficulty. She also heard their cheers. If only they understood. "When I'm gone beware your future. The third string Ananke created was yours. Mines was only woven after. The fates guided you down this hideous road filled with thorns and poison ivy. Hero, your adventure is not finished yet. He is waiting." Her voice was shaking all throughout. 

"Who is waiting?" Percy asked. He wanted to be afraid, but, at the moment, he was so... tired.

She looked him straight in the eyes. "He who controls the stars requires the sacrifice of the Greatest of Heroes. It is not their fault. We have all attempted to stop him from getting you, but now we know you can not be stopped." She smiled briefly before it disappeared. She could sense Zeus and Poseidon coming near, possibly able to hear these last words of hers. "But as you cannot be stopped, neither can he. You know this more than any other." She then turned her head towards the brotherly duo that were within earshot. "Sacrifices must be made." She said. Shortly after, her eyes slowly fluttered close as she melted into the ground, a large redwood tree rising from her grave, marking the second beginning of slumber for the Primordial of Earth, Gaia.

Once she her body disappeared, Percy lost his grip on Riptide and he had felt an evil premonition. Things would spiral beyond his control. He clutched at his chest, his heart beating rapidly. He didn't realize the extent of her words as his mind turned numb, the world around him falling into darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do not own the PJO series, it is by Rick Riordan.