Chapter XXXXII : My angel

Start from the beginning

Diego remained thoughtful for a few moments. He tried to sit on the bed and Constantine arranged his pillows so that he could be comfortable.

— If this position is uncomfortable for you, do not hesitate to ask me to help you? Armando offered.

— No, I'm fine. Thanks for the cushions. I feel like my muscles don't support me anymore.

— I understand, replied the monk. You were lying down for so long that your muscles finally melted. By the way, when you arrived, you had an athletic body and the muscles of a person accustomed to regular physical activity.

This precision challenged Diego as if an old memory was stealthily returning, but he fled as quickly as he had appeared.

— It will take some time and some exercise for your physical functions to be restored and you to be as before. Even walking will tire you out at first. You won't have to push too hard and give your body time. You have come a long way. I had never seen a body as damaged as yours.

Diego felt that it was more and more difficult to keep his eyes open. He fell asleep for a few minutes without even realizing it. When he opened his eyes, the two religious were still there and Brother Armando was checking his pulse.

— Rest, Señor, everything is normal. Don't fight, you need to recover so badly, Armando reassured him. We will be back in an hour to bring you a more substantial meal than what you have eaten since your arrival.

The gastric tube that had fed him throughout his recovery was just a bad memory. The warm herbal teas had calmed the essential but Diego still felt the burn from the contact of the tube he had kept so long at the back of his throat. These monks saved me, he thought. He could never thank them enough for taking such good care of him for so long!

With a bound, Django landed loosely on the bed and lay down beside the patient. Diego stroked her head affectionately. Gradually, the torpor settled in again and he fell asleep again with the dog by his side. He was also a good nurse!

Three days had passed since Diego woke up and the progress was quite rapid. He stayed awake longer and felt his life force returning to him. Knowing that his family was on the way, he did not want to give the image of an invalid.

After many unsuccessful attempts, he managed to stand up on his own and walk from bed to chair, although every step was a real test. He managed to sit down, a little heavily, but it was a good sign. Getting up was harder, but he didn't give up. He repeated this exercise very often and made rapid progress.

Django followed him step by step, from bed to chair and back. He lay down at his feet when he was seated and stared at him as if to encourage him.

— Good dog, he exclaimed, stroking him. I would gladly take you with me if the monks agreed!

The next day, an unusual noise announced the arrival of his family. They had come by car as far as the monastery, but in this uninhabited region roads were scarce. They must have walked a long time before entering the last stage, a steep sloping path that only donkeys and humans could take.

Isabel was feverish. She had climbed the last few meters almost running, despite the heavy load she had carried since they had abandoned the car. Rodrigo and Salvador followed just behind, also very busy, and Matéo brought up the rear. He had traveled on horseback and, for the last part of the journey, he had continued on foot and weighted his horse with the rest of the luggage. He was now holding him by the bridle to help him up the slope with his load. The heat was overwhelming and the path more and more steep.

Getting to the monastery was in itself a test of renunciation for future monks!

Django spotted their progress early and announced their imminent arrival. His agitation had alerted the monks who came to meet Isabel and relieved Rodrigo of his baggage. The latter was no longer as nimble as before and this climb had left him breathless. He was in such a hurry to hug his son in his arms that he had walked too fast and felt bad.