Chapter XIII : Salvador

Cuevas-Blancas, 1902.

The calm and sunny weather had given way to a huge thunderstorm whose lightnings illuminated the house. It was already late but no one had ventured outside and it was likely that the planned tasks would not be carried out today. Leaving his room, Diego greeted Salvador who, his nose against the window in the corridor, was watching the flood. He went down to the pantry to try to find something to eat.

He's waiting for my father, Diego thought. He's going to ask Padre about our interview yesterday, but it doesn't concern him and he's going to be disappointed.

Finding himself alone, Salvador knocked on the door of Rodrigo's office and opened it a crack to speak to his father.

This younger brother was nothing like Diego, both physically and in character. Taller and slender than Diego, he was also much darker than him with dark eyes that seemed to throw fire when he was angry. Fortunately, this happened very little because he was of a cheerful and playful temperament and only rarely got angry.

Rodrigo invited him to come in. He also thought that his younger brother wanted to be kept informed of the content of the conversation he had had with Diego face to face. Since he was little, Salvador fiercely defended his interests and was not afraid to ask for a stake in anything Rodrigo undertook with Diego. But this was a completely different reason.

— Padre, can I talk to you about a personal matter?

Rodrigo understood that this time the subject had to be important because Salvador, usually so playful, looked serious.

— Come, Salvador, let's go sit down, he encouraged, taking him by the shoulders.

Once comfortably settled, Salvador confided. He was hunched over in the chair, as if that position might allay his torment.

— Padre, I have put myself in a bad position and I need your advice.

— But still? Rodrigo asked, leaning over him.

— I dated a girl from the hostel on the road to Barcelona, ​​she is a waitress and she just told me that she is fat.

Salvador sagged even more in his seat as if he really carried a burden.

Rodrigo was silent for a moment. In his head he studied the situation from various angles, weighing the advantages and especially the disadvantages of this unexpected news. What are your intentions, Salvador? Have you ever thought about it before coming to talk to me about it? What is your level of attachment to this girl?

— I have no idea yet, Padre. No matter how much I turn this around in my head, I don't know what is the best solution for Soledad and for me.

— You are not answering my question! Do you like this Soledad? Are you ready to marry her and start a family with her?

— I think so. We have known each other since childhood. She came with her father to the estate. He was a farrier and he took care of our horses before Madre wanted to hire someone else and change jobs. We met recently.

— Your mother is quick-witted and quick-witted. She didn't send him back on a whim, I understand that now. And you embarrassed yourself all alone! he roared, standing up.

Then dropping back into his chair, he resumed.

— What does this young girl think of it? Does she want to keep the child or does she want to give him up for adoption at birth? It is imperative that you discuss this topic together. You both are concerned, dammit! How the hell did you get into such a mess my child?