Chapter XXIX : Unwanted visitors

Comenzar desde el principio

The most difficult would be the cohabitation with Elvira, which would not fail to make her life difficult. She was convinced that her stepmother would do anything to prevent this baby from seeing the light of day. Her birth would formalize Isabel as a full member of the family and Elvira could not accept it. Without a child, she would remain a stranger who could be ignored or even chased away, but with a child, the situation would change in her favor.

Isabel chooses to remain unmoved despite the possibility of future attacks. Her main goal was to bring her pregnancy to term and have a healthy child. Secretly, she hoped it was a boy but of course nothing was certain. The families of the nobility were all waiting for a male heir, for the survival of their lineage, their title, and the future management of their property. If by misfortune there were none, the name of Almondara would die out and she would certainly be held solely responsible. Would she survive this?

Elvira had also well understood the stake that this child represented for the family. A girl would allow her to procrastinate, but if it was a boy, she couldn't do anything more to get rid of Isabel. It was therefore imperative that this child could not come into the world. No limit existed any more, she was ready to attempt the life of the mother or that of the child so that it never came to term alive.

It would not be an irresponsible act, but a premeditated murder perpetrated by a jealous and resentful woman. Elvira was aware of his cruelty but saw nothing wrong with it. She felt dirty and dishonored and that's what motivated her actions.

Isabel had decided to take all her meals in her room and not to go out very much. Fortunately, the bedroom opened onto a fairly large covered terrace where Rodrigo had asked to install a daybed, a coffee table and armchairs. She would not therefore have the feeling of remaining cloistered.

That day, she was lying on the terrace when a swarm of bees, which seemed confused, began to hover around her. Fortunately, she had the reflex to fully protect herself with the blanket she had placed on her legs. She remained like that for long minutes, making sure that no gap allowed the bees to reach her. She feared, in fact, the effect of the venom on her child. For long minutes, she heard the incessant buzzing of bees around her. However, the very thick blanket protected her from their bites.

After a while, Isabel risked removing her protection and inspecting the surroundings. The bees were still there but calm and gathered. The swarm had reformed, clinging to a pillar on the terrace. The bees appeared to be numb. They remained clustered together, and were no longer threatening. Isabel did not want to call for help fearing to frighten them again. Getting up very slowly, she slipped over to the patio door opening, entered the bedroom and closed it directly behind her, breathing in relief. Immediately she called for help. It was noon and Rodrigo had just returned. Hearing Isabel, he rushed upstairs.

— Isabel, what's going on here? I heard you calling for help, Rodrigo asked.

— Sorry Padre, but I was very scared. I was lying on the terrace when a swarm of bees, in an unbelievably excited state, swirled around me. I was able to protect myself under a blanket, and I was not bitten, but in my condition, I was very afraid of losing my baby. Fortunately, this blanket saved me.

Puzzled, Rodrigo glanced out onto the terrace and saw the swarm hanging from the pillar. This presence was abnormal. He had to call Ernesto who was the only one who knew bees enough to know what could have happened.

He advised Isabel to lie down on his bed to calm his anxiety and he went downstairs. He then walked towards the vegetable garden in which Ernesto had set up the beehives, when he saw the latter advancing towards him with a rapid step.

— Don Rodrigo, hello. I am looking for a very large swarm of bees. He left his hive. Have you seen him near you?

— Yes, Ernesto, and he almost killed your daughter! Fortunately, she had good reflexes and there is nothing more to fear. The swarm has reformed on the terrace of his room, so go look for him and try to put him back in his hive. Do you have any idea what could have happened? he asked.