3.2: NYC - Reputation

Start from the beginning

I don't know how to react to that. Is he lying? Is he telling the truth? I don't know if I believe it at all, especially from the way he's acted the entire time and how the woman seemed to take a major interest in him too. Maybe I should wait for definitive proof, quite the opposite to how it worked in the PD office, this time, Dominic was innocent until proven guilty. I'm actually going to risk my heart getting broken if a dirty secret came out.

Hmmm....

"Is she an ex?" Okay, so I couldn't resist.

"No, but she was a client for Uncle Nate that I was forced to take over because he dealt with something else."

"Um, okay?"

"Don't take that job, okay?"

I nipped my bottom lip and turned away from him. I know that if I don't take it, I wouldn't be able to get any closer to getting rid of Nathaniel. I needed Judge Cole's trust. So I grasped his hands, pecking each one and led them back to him, which surprised him.

"Are you serious?"

"I'll go back and meet with them, Dom." I sighed. I could feel my heart frantically telling me to shut up, my anxiety crept up too. "You can still help me, but I can't go back on my word. My Dad wouldn't like it."

"Argh-" Dominic groaned, his thumb and index finger massaged parts of his forehead as he paced back and forth.

"If you forgot, I work for Lawler & Walsh now, and we have to keep up with the reputation built by our older role model." I reminded him, hoping that my reasoning would get him to accept my decision.

"Do what you want, I'm going to see what's happening in the office renovations." And just like that, the cold, new Dominic reappeared before my eyes, but he didn't give me the satisfaction of letting me see his face as he began to walk away from me.

That was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

I pressed my hand above my left side, I felt the thump of each pace my heart made and let a breath of air ooze out in one blow. I was nervous and alone, and after all that, I wasn't going to back down. I needed to do this. I needed it to get a bargain from Judge Cole. And as if it was destined to happen, that very same old man walked out the doors of the restaurant without the blond woman. His eyes opened wide at the sight of me as he asked, "Why are you still here, Ms Lawler?"

"I was waiting for you, Judge Cole." A sly smile curved at the corners of my lips. I definitely had the upper hand in this situation, he probably didn't expect me to wait for him after what's happened. I needed to be aggressive now, and I knew exactly how after Hamish's advice.

"How come?"

"Judge Cole, you have to give me some credit. I'm not as innocent as everyone thinks I am," I began. "I'll be very frank, you've come across as quite a happy, loving husband and a respected judge of the courtroom, but I also know that you have a reputation to doing other things too, like cheating, manipulating and fraud. So I'm here for a bargain with you as others before me have."

The old, cackling man's smile turned upside down, along with his expression and body posture. He turned at the click of the fingers, just like Dominic. Hamish was right, calling out Judge Cole was the perfect approach to getting the real persona to step out behind the shadows. Ooh, if you were in my position, you'd probably be scared, well, I was too, I wouldn't lie about that, but I learned from Hamish's briefings to heave the fear out of me at each breath so he couldn't sense my weakness and call me out on it.

Judge Cole crossed his arms and said, "Alright, speak."

"I want the contact information for Fiona Walsh-"