The Birth

Downstairs the tension in the room was so thick you could cut it with a knife.
Elena's cries echoed through the house. No one could stand to hear her in such agony.
Caroline and Alaric left to go check on their girls who were at the school.
Matt and Jeremy went to go get coffee. They hated to leave in the middle of everything, but neither of them wanted to listen to Elena in pain. They decided they'd just go out for a while to the Mystic Grill and then come back later and see if the baby was born yet.

Elena was making progress. Slow and steady, the baby was coming.

Damon continued to cradle her in his arms. She was so thankful for him. If he hadn't been there she never could've done this. She would've crumbled. But he was there to pick her pieces up. She loved him so so much. And couldn't wait to watch him become the best father to their baby.

While she was making progress, her body was getting tired. She started struggling to keep her eyes open.

"Elena, I can see the head. Your baby is coming! That means only a little more pushing. You can get through this. Alright, push!" Bonnie said.

"auuuhhhhhhhhh"

She panted and gasped for breath. Her grip was loosening on Damon's hands.

"Squeeze my hand, baby. Squeeze my hands." Damon whispered.

She squeezed his hands again, but she didn't have as much strength as she did in the beginning. That worried Damon, but he tried not to show it on his face.

"Push!"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH UHHHHHHHHHHH OHHHHHH MY GOD!"

Elena was taking quick, shallow breaths. She tried so hard to breathe slowly. In and out. But she couldn't. She struggled to breathe at all. This was taking everything she had.

"The head's out Elena!! The head's out, you're almost done! Almost done, you can do it."

Damon smiled. He was about to be a dad. He was kissing Elena's head again. "Come on, baby. You're so close. Did you hear Bonnie? The head's out! You're about to be a mom." He stroked her hair.

She started to close her eyes.

"Open your eyes Elena," Bonnie said sternly. "Open your eyes and push."

"UGGGHHHHHH AAAAAHHHHHH"

"Come on baby, come on. You got this. Just breathe and push. You can do it."

"Push!"

"No! I need to stop- I can't anymore....it's too hard....... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Damon pulled Elena closer, held her tighter. He was so scared. But it was almost over.

"PUSH!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHH AHHH AHHHHHHHH"

She collapsed into Damon.

The sound of a baby's cries sounded in the air. Bonnie smiled and had tears going down her face. She lifted up their baby, wrapped in a little white blanket.

Elena gasped.

Damon laughed.

Bonnie leaned over and handed Elena her baby.

Elena took the baby in her arms and stared into its tiny face. She barely had the strength to cry. But she did. It was all worth it. Every bit of it for her sweet baby. Damon kissed her forehead.

"I knew you could do it! Oh my god Elena... we have a baby! I love you so much, so much..."

"What is it?" Bonnie asked.

Elena unfolded the blanket away from the baby. She laughed.

"A girl! It's a girl!" Damon started crying. He touched his daughter's fingers. She grabbed his finger with her tiny ones.

He never knew he could love someone so much.

"A little girl Damon... she's so perfect."

"Just like her mother" he whispered.

This moment was so perfect. Beautiful.

Elena handed the baby to Damon. He felt like his heart would explode right from his chest. He loved her that much. He had no idea how he could contain it.

Their perfect moment suddenly took a drastic turn....

when Elena went limp in Damon's lap.