Labor

It had been a few hours and Elena began to have intense contractions. No one else (other than Bonnie) had arrived yet. It was taking them a while to get there. But Damon and Elena were fine with that. It was peaceful for the time being.

Elena was wearing a sports bra and sweatpants to be more comfortable. Her hair was up in a ponytail to keep it out of her face.

She was experiencing a painful contraction. She was standing up holding the wall. Damon was rubbing her back and whispering to her.

"You got this baby. I'm right here." He told her.

She leaned against the wall.

"aaaaaahhhh" she groaned.

Damon continued to rub her back.

"Focus on your breathing Elena." Bonnie told her. "In and out. In and out."

Elena breathed slowly. She stood up straighter and breathed out. That one was over.

"About 5 minutes apart. It won't be too much longer." Bonnie was timing her contractions.

Elena turned and grabbed Damon's arms.

"God I hope it's not any longer." She put her head on Damon's shoulder.

"Oh come on baby, we're just getting started," Damon smiled.

"Oh shut up," Elena mumbled.

Another hour went by. Her contractions got worse.

It hurt too much to stand so Damon walked Elena over to the couch and they sat down. She leaned her head back on his chest. He had one arm wrapped around her shoulders and the other holding her hand.

"Ugggggghhhhhhhh"

Damon softly kissed her forehead.

"Breathe baby. It's ok. I'm with you." He whispered.

Bonnie checked her watch. "Three minutes apart. It's gonna happen really soon. Just keep breathing ok. You got this Elena."

She breathed in and out. In and out. She had almost calmed down when another wave hit.

"Ahh! Ughhhhhh"

Damon held her a little tighter. Pulled her a little closer into him. He couldn't stand seeing her like this. It broke him inside to see her in so much pain. And she hadn't even reached the worst part yet. He didn't think he was ready for that. He didn't think he could take it. He felt so helpless, watching her in pain, knowing he couldn't ease it or take it away.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" Damon called.

The door swung open. It was Jeremy.

Elena had her eyes shut and didn't see who was coming in the door.

"Hey" Damon said to him.

"Hey Damon." Jeremy said. He walked over to the couch and gave Elena a kiss on the forehead. "Hi Elena. How's it going?"

Elena's eyes remained closed, but she smiled. Feeling her brother sit beside her. He grabbed her free hand and squeezed it right.

"She's not talking because she is focusing on her breathing. She doesn't want to use all her energy. It's just easier for her." Damon told Jeremy.

Elena nodded.

"It's ok." Jeremy said. "Just know I'm right here."

"She's a trooper," Damon said proudly. "You're so strong Elena." He rubbed her arm.

Elena tensed again. Another contraction. The worst one she'd had so far.

She had a death grip on Damon and Jeremy's hands. Squeezing for dear life.

"AHHHH oh my god! ohhhhh..... ughhhhhh"

Damon repeatedly kissed her forehead. Since he couldn't do anything about her pain, he needed to let her know that he was still there. Doing what he could do.

"I love you. I love you so much, Elena. I love you. Shhh, it's ok, it's ok. I've got you. You're ok."

Another knock at the door.

"You can come in!" Bonnie called out.

This time it was Caroline. Followed by Matt and Alaric.

"Oh my god!! Oh my gosh I can't believe it's happening! I'm so sorry it took us so long to get here! We were held up at the school. Is there anything we can do?" Caroline said frantically.

"We're all good right now." Bonnie told her.

Elena groaned and gasped. Doing her best to endure the pain. In and out, she reminded herself. In and out.

"Oh, you can do this Elena!!" Caroline told her. "We're here for you."

"Alright," Bonnie said. "I need to check your dilation. Damon, let's take her upstairs. We'll stay up there until the baby is born."

Damon nodded.

"Good luck!" Everyone said.

Damon picked Elena up in his arms and carried her upstairs.

"I'm so excited," Caroline said. "Also nervous. But it's gonna be ok."

Jeremy went to get a glass of water. It was hard seeing his sister in this state. He came and sat back down.

"Ric"

"Jeremy"

They hugged.

"How've you been?" Alaric asked.

"Pretty good." Jeremy told him. He had been going on lots of road trips. Just exploring and having his own little adventures. Making friends along the way. Meeting girls. It'd been fun.

"How's the school?" Jeremy asked.

"Great," Alaric replied. "Yep. New faces all the time. Different kids with different stories. It's definitely interesting every day to say the least."

"I'll bet." Jeremy said.

It got quiet for a minute. Everyone was anxious. Wondering how long it would be before they got to meet the new member of their family.