Deal with the Devil

"What do you mean?" Adira asked in confusion, bewildered by what Kevin had just told her.

"It's best if you head back and join the people you were with. Adira, it's not safe for you. You don't know half of what's out here." Kevin repeated himself slowly, making sure the woman knew he was serious. She didn't seem to like his response, however, and stayed sitting on a log next to her tent. With a shake of her head, she firmly crossed her arms over her chest, "I've seen enough to know we all shouldn't be here. Why don't you guys just come with me? There are people who know the way back home!"

Kevin stayed silent as he packed his backpack with some spare items lying around. Adira couldn't believe they were just going to continue living in the forest, and persisted, "Please, Kevin. Think of Conrad and your guys' family. They think you're dead." Her thoughts went to Mitch, and all at once her heart fell. "Please don't give up hope. I know there is a way out. Three's better than two, right? I recognize some places...and..." She thought of God, who knew every part of the forest. She had promised to stay with him, and in return he would liberate the lost men. Perhaps after setting Kevin and Conrad free she would fulfill her end of the bargain on the condition that Mitch be found. He couldn't just disappear into thin air. Something had to be left.

"I know someone who can help us. Just please trust in me and go through with it," Adira wouldn't take no for an answer. She stood up from her seat and motioned for him to stay put, "Please give me an hour or something. I'm not sure where he is but I will find him or he will find me. I just ask you to keep an open mind..."

Kevin didn't seem too eager to go through with everything, but exchanged a sad, sympathetic smile and nodded. He placed his bag on the floor and reached into his pocket to pull out a knife. Carefully, he outstretched it towards Adira who hesitantly accepted it.

"There's things out there, Adira."

Adira gave a simple nod, examining the pocketknife with sad surprise. It was a birthday gift from Mitch to him. The knife was a little used up but still in good condition. She patted her short's pocket, where her necklace lay, and swallowed back a knot. "I'll be back," she promised, and squeezed the knife in her grip as she whirled away.

Finding God couldn't be hard. He had eyes all over, maybe if she yelled out his name he would come.

First thing first, she had to create some distance from her and the camp. Couldn't risk giving away the two men's location if things went south with the beast. This time around, Adira carefully planned her route and made sure she marked trees with a small incision only she would notice. After what felt like a good ten minutes of walking, the woman quickly concealed her weapon and sat on a nearby boulder. She glanced around herself, breathing slowly as fear settled upon her.

The forest was unusually quiet, and the sky as bleak as ever. Drops of rain began to fall upon her, causing her to shiver. She wished she was wearing a jacket, or at least a pair of comfortable pants. At this rate, Adira was bound to get sick sooner or later.

"I thought you were dead."

The monstrous voice of the god of the forest suddenly rang around Adira, causing her heart to leap in her chest as she searched for the owner. With her head held high, she sat up and attempted to regain some confidence.

"I need your help. I found-."

"And what's this?" God descended from the dark shadows, as malevolent as ever. Adira couldn't help but feel terrified as the large beast towered over her, reminding her of every horrible thing she had experienced in the forest. Her voice got caught in her throat and no words could escape her lips despite them moving.

"You come to me for help in another man's clothing. You're not very loyal to your boyfriend after all, are you?"

This seemed to break the paralysis that had temporarily taken over Adira. She balled up her hand into a fist and shook her head vigorously," No. You don't understand. I managed to find people. That's why I need your help. It's two of the three men I was looking for."

God circled Adira, inspecting her from head to toe like she was a fine chunk of meat. Unexpectedly and out of the blue, he asked, "I'm wondering where you slept last night. I didn't see you anywhere."

"I told you I found- hey! What are you doing!?"

God's pitch black face and glowing eyes were now pressed against Adira's body, sniffing every inch of her like a dog. Instinctively, she slapped his face as hard as she could, wincing at the pain it brought upon her hand. God seemed momentarily caught off guard before stepping back and straightening up. His claws twitched with hidden emotion and it was only when Adira noticed this that she took note of a morbid detail.

Blood was dripping from the tips of his fingers, signaling to her he had just killed someone before finding her. There was even fresh blood on his clothing once she examined him more.

"Did you...do something?" Adira momentarily forgot why she was there, now focused on the horror before her. God didn't respond immediately, but took the time to roughly grab the woman by her shoulder and lead her beside him. She cowered under his touch, mind racing as she wondered what was going on.

"I want to show you something."

She didn't have time for all this. Mitch's friends needed her to bring them back home! But if she did what God wanted, perhaps she would appeal to his better nature and convince him to help her.

"Where are we going?"

"If you are begging for my help, you will never run from me again. We made a deal." God let go of Adira, leaving behind a large, bloody handprint. "You will get used to what I do starting today."

Adira felt the pit of her stomach begin to churn horribly, and she knew what was coming next.