While I did my best to keep Jamie at arm's length, I hated knowing I was to blame for the hope he harbored. I could easily shut the door - plenty of times I'd had venom sitting on the tip of my tongue, knowing I had the power to make him go away for good. I was ashamed, but I liked having one person at work who was on my side.

So, I kept the game going.

"I'll be free of you."

He grinned at my lighthearted retort, accepting it as fuel. "One day, Thorn. One day, you'll say yes."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night."

-

"Honey, I'm home!"

I shut the front door behind me, expecting a frantic tornado of blonde hair to grab my arm and take me in her wake but was surprised to be met with silence. Having known each other a decade and lived together for six months, I knew the only reasonable excuse for Em's silence was a quietly building theatric meltdown.

I let my bag slide off my shoulder and settle on the ground before making my way through the living room. I didn't bother knocking on her cracked bedroom door, stepping in and taking in the sight in front of me.

"If I didn't know any better, I would think this was my room."

The floor couldn't be seen, a disaster of wrinkled clothes thrown on every single surface. I stepped further in, giving up on trying to tip-toe in the free space as I stepped on a small mountain of shirts. "You can't give me shit ever again."

I followed the light coming from the bathroom, pushing open the door. I watched as my neurotic friend tugged randomly at the outfit adorning her body, frowning deeply at the mirror. Her eyes were bloodshot as if she'd been up for days preparing for this moment, only to be met with tragedy.

Based on the texts I'd been receiving all day, I knew the fabricated scenario wasn't that far off. She was beyond nervous, going on a date with a guy she'd met at the gym - a guy she'd mentally proposed to in various ways for months. She'd spotted Bryce in a workout class and as she put it, it was love at first spin.

"Look at me. I'm going to cancel."

"What's wrong with it? It looks fine."

I knew as the words left my mouth, I'd made a mistake.

"Fine?" She groaned, dramatically burying her face in her hands. "I'm absolutely going to cancel now. Fine. That's great."

She breezed past me in a huff, a wave of perfume nearly knocking me out. I held back my comment, trying not to laugh as she began digging through piles on the ground.

"Em, doesn't this guy usually see you all sweaty and gross? Anything will be an upgrade."

"Not helpful, Rory."

"Hm."

I leaned down, joining her in the madness. She held up a t-shirt, barely glancing at it before tossing it aside. I grabbed it, laughing under my breath. "What's wrong with this?"

"A t-shirt on a first date, Rory? Really?"

"What's wrong with a t-shirt?"

"Everything. Everything, Rory. It's a first date."

"As fun as this is, I think I'm going to go do...literally anything else," I shook my head, glancing at the mess surrounding us. "This is insane, Em. Actually insane."

"Please help me pick something?"

I sighed as she pouted, looking at me helplessly. "You know I'd wear a t-shirt on a date. I live in t-shirts."