sixteen, favourite daughter, but never son

Start from the beginning

Percy's sob story made the police and reporters pass around a hat and raise money for four tickets on the next plane to New York. They seemed so moved, which Sheila thought was dramatic, but she wouldn't complain.

     The arrival at the airport brought tension to the quartet. They were taking a risk by getting on a plane. Percy's hands were already clenched despite them not even being aboard yet. Sheila tried to speak up and reassure him, except everything she thought to say would demoralize him more. Her last solution was to force him onto the plane and grab his arm until they were sat.

When the plane took off, Sheila understood Percy's behaviour. It was such a nightmare that she didn't let go of him. Every spot of turbulence felt as if they would crash. It scared her as much as the monsters did throughout the quest. Only when they touched safely at La Guardia did Sheila and Percy let go of each other. A look was shared between Grover and Annabeth, though the two other demigods didn't catch it.

     The local press was waiting for the four teenagers outside security. The quartet managed to evade them thanks to Annabeth, who lured the press away in her invisible Yankees cap, shouting, "They're over by the frozen yoghurt! Come on!" and Sheila magically directing them away. The girls then rejoined Grover and Percy at baggage claim.

When they reached the taxi stand, Percy told his friends it would be better to split up so that Chiron would know what had happened. They protested, but Percy was insistent. Annabeth and Grover agreed after realizing there was no changing his mind, yet Sheila didn't budge. She argued that her being there if he angered the gods would help. Percy pretended it bothered him, but deep down, he knew he didn't want to go to Olympus without her.

     Sheila hopped in a taxi with Percy once she promised Annabeth not to curse at any god. They headed into Manhattan, the sky clear of clouds. The wind looked calm since it didn't barge against the windows.

After thirty long minutes of petty arguments — most caused by Sheila, who accidentally lit the end of Percy's pants on fire with the flames she distracted herself with — the duo exited the taxi. They walked into the lobby of the Empire State Building, both of them assuming they looked like they had just spent the last days without sleeping, a statement which wasn't false.

     Percy went up to the guard at the front desk, Sheila trailing behind. He didn't greet the guard, instantly demanding, "Six hundredth floor."

The guard was reading a book with a picture of a wizard on the front. Sheila tried to peek over Percy's shoulder and get a look at the title. She silently chuckled as she recognized the fantasy book her father used to read every night before she went to sleep. It was understandable the guard took so long before looking up at her and Percy. The story was great.

     "No such floor, kiddo," he denied.

"Look, we just need an audience with Zeus," Sheila declared. "You surely heard of him, the Greek god who transformed his daughter into a tree and almost killed us while we were on a plane. He's said to have a thundering temper."

     The guard gave the two a vacant smile. "Sorry?"

"You heard her," Percy insisted.

     The demigods shared a look as the guard remained silent, afraid they had confused him with the rear guard. Sheila stepped back, ready to bolt toward the door, but the guard's voice stopped her just before she did, "No appointment, no audience, kiddos. Lord Zeus doesn't see anyone unannounced."

"Oh, I think he'll make an exception," Percy told him, slipping off his backpack.

     He unzipped the top, allowing the guard to look inside it. It took him a few seconds to get what the metal cylinder was, his face paling. He glanced back up at the demigods, asking them if it was what he thought it was.