eight, night confession

❝ Bennetts are cursed, Sharkboy. ❞

☆ ☼ ☆

     Stars filled the sky that night as the four teenagers settled on camping in the woods. They were a hundred yards from the main road, yet they agreed not to make a fire to avoid unnecessary attention. Sheila proposed to dry their clothes, but it didn't help much against the freezing air. Luckily, the blankets they stole from Medusa's office managed to keep them from dying of hypothermia. 

Using her sweatshirt as a pillow, Sheila stared thoughtfully at the sky. Annabeth was fast asleep five feet away from her, having closed her eyes when her head hit the ground. Sheila envied her. She wished she could be in a dream right now instead of only laying uselessly on a scratchy blanket. Time was ticking by, and the idea of being unable to complete their quest before the summer solstice stressed her out. They could have gone further if the bus hadn't exploded.

     Since Percy had proposed to take the first watch, Sheila had to find a way to fall asleep. She needed all the energy she could get, but her body refused to shut down for at least an hour. Her limbs moved restlessly as she tried to get into a good position. Realizing nothing worked, Sheila laid on her back and counted the stars. It didn't take long before her thoughts drifted, though, and she imagined all the ways the quest could go wrong. Percy and Grover's depressing conversation worsened the outcome of her scenarios. 

Tilting her head, the girl reached for a flower beside her. Grover's sadness about the pollution humans caused reminded Sheila how fragile Nature was. Maybe it was why it was so connected to her magic. Both were unpredictable and easily breakable. Humans mistreated Nature despite all it gave them. Campers asked Sheila for help with her magic, then whispered about her and the danger she presented. As if to prove her point, a gush of wind passed and blew off the petals Sheila admired. She sighed, sitting up and listening to Grover explaining his role as a searcher upon Percy's request.

     "The God of Wild Places disappeared two thousand years ago," Grover spoke. "A sailor off the coast of Ephesos heard a mysterious voice crying out from the shore, 'Tell them that the great god Pan has died!' When humans heard the news, they believed it. They've been pillaging Pan's kingdom ever since. But for the satyrs, Pan was our lord and master. He protected us and the wild places of the earth. We refuse to believe that he died. In every generation, the bravest satyrs pledge their lives to find Pan. They search the earth, exploring all the wildest places, hoping to find where he hides and wake him from sleep."

A strange breeze rustled through the clearing they found themselves hiding in. Sheila relaxed upon feeling it tickling against her cheeks. It was different than usual, not as warm but not as cold. She frowned slightly and focused on it. The hairs on her arms stood up, making her tighten the blanket she threw over her shoulders. Fire emanated from Sheila's palms, the small flame hidden by her cupped hands.