Chapter 41

When I got back to the palace, I got loads of sympathy. People whose names I didn't even know came up to me and told me how unfortunate it was. I smile and nod, for I know they're only doing it to keep up appearances.

In my room, I was now getting ready for the report. Silence filled the room, and the only sounds reaching my ears were the steamer pressing my dress and the soft taps that were sounded as the maids walked.

I loved how they respected my privacy. A dress was slipped over my head, and when I looked in the mirror, I gasped. Nobody had worn something this bold on the Report.

Black silken skirts layered over each other, flowing like water from my waist to the floor. I had a black bust, which was connected to opaque black fabric covering my chest and arms. Black lace designs were etched onto the sleeves.

My hair was pulled back from the front with pins. My overgrown hair reached my hips, slightly curled. My eyes were decorated with nothing but winged eyeliner and mascara. The only source of color on my entire body were my blood-red lips.

"Why," I stuttered. Why would I wear something like this?

"It's to make a statement. Also, everyone will be wearing plain black in honor of Hampton," Cecelia replied.

I nodded my head and put on my black pumps. I stared at my family ring, sitting on my vanity. I picked up the circular metal and slid it on my finger. "I'm ready," I said quietly.

Diana nodded her head and opened the door for me. She held the door open until the train of my dress followed behind me. My skirts billowed against the marble as I walked. I came down the steps slowly and cautiously, careful not to trip over the hem of the dress.

At the feet of the stairs was the Royal family. All of them wore black, without a speck of color. The only illumination to them was the red tint of Marlee and Aaron's hair, Olivia's platinum blonde locks, and America's burning flame atop her head.

"Good evening," I curtsied before them.

"You as well, Lady Elisa," Maxon replied. I stood quietly, staring at the ground while waiting for the rest of the girls to come down the stairs.

Marlee put an arm around my shoulders, and even Olivia leaned her head onto my shoulder. Aaron slipped his hands in mine, and I squeezed it until my knuckles turned white. My body quaked as I bit back tears.

All of the selected had joined us, but one thing was noticeable. Every single one of them was wearing the exact same dress. It was a black backless dress with a sweetheart neckline.

We rode in the same car to the Report. I sat by Marlee and Kiara, whose hands both held mine. Everyone filed into their seats before the set on the Report, and everyone walked around conducting business.

I spotted Gavril make his way to his desk. His usually bright colored suit was replaced with a solemnly black one, with a white peony stuck in his pocket. My heart wrenched at seeing his show of sorrow.

The show opened how it usually would, except Marlee and Olivia sat with us instead of their parents and Aaron. They talked about politics, fatalities, and anything else they could use to distract from the real story they want.

Mine.

Nobody wants to hear how everyone's life at the palace is. They want to know how tragic it's been, knowing my entire family is gone. Because of this, I will be the only one interviewed tonight.

I drug my skirts behind me as I waited backstage. A hand rested on my shoulder, and I turned to see it was Aaron's. I threw my arms around his neck when I saw him. "Aaron, I don't want to do this," I whispered.

"I know, Elly," he cooed into my ear, making my shudders subside. "Do you want me to go out there with you?"

"Would you please?" I requested without looking at him.

He nodded his head. "I love you.

I looked up into his eyes. "I love you too," I responded with a kiss on his lips. I pulled back and adjusted my lipstick, probably smeared.

A stage director gestured for us to go onstage, so I slipped my arm in Aaron's as we made our way to the seats in front of Gavril. I sat down, followed by Aaron, and turned to Gavril.

"Lady Elisa," Gavril began. "I'm sure everyone knows exactly what has taken place in Hampton this week."

"I believe they do. I appreciate their support, and I'm sure the citizens of Hampton can say the same."

"Now, would you mind talking about this experience?" Gavril questioned.

I looked to Aaron. He gave me a nod of encouragement and I cleared my throat. "I remember being told to visit the King's office, and I thought I was being sent home. I didn't even know how catastrophic the situation really was," I began as tears welled in my eyes.

"It was a blur for the next few days. I went back home, and the wreckage was awful. Everything was scorched, including the home where I grew up. Every memory I had built there felt as if it didn't matter anymore."

"I've been haunted by this, Gavril. I've had nightmares almost every night, and I mourn the loss of my family. I know I'm not the only one, either, which is terrible. I'm not the only orphaned person in Hampton, and I can't do anything about it," I said. I began choking at the end.

"Elisa," Gavril starts. He dabs his eyes genuinely with his finger tips. "Thank you so much. I will continue to show my support for you and the loss of your family."

"Not just mine, Gavril. Hampton's."

"Of course," he smiled sadly.

Aaron squeezed my hand and we both left the stage as the ending rolled for the Report. The ride home was deathly silent, without a sound being made. We all filed into the main hall where Brenda clapped her hands to make an announcement.

"Ladies," she called while straightening her black blouse and pencil skirt. "I would like to declare that Prince Aaron has selected the members of the Elite. They will be announced in the morning. You are dismissed."

The girls bounded up the steps, giggling and whispering. Leila looked back and gave me a sidelong glance, and I simply smiled as a signal saying 'I'm ok'. I turned back to the Royal family.

"I'd like to thank you for your support," I said quietly.

"Of course," America said. "If it isn't too soon, I think we should begin planning the funerals tonight."

"Of course we can," I replied. "Where do we begin?"

YALL WE'RE ALMOST DONE!!!!!!