Chapter 37

I knew it. I was being sent home.

But why?

I nervously rounded the corners in the hallways, my skirts brushing the cold marble. I fiddled with my hands anxiously as the guard escorted me to the King's office. He paused in front of the door, and bowed shallowly before walking away. I took a deep breath and pushed the doors open.

King Maxon sat at his desk of dark wood. Fine scarlet carpeting lined the ground, creating difficult ground for walking in my narrowly spiked shoe. America's skirts were slightly wrinkled, and she leaned against a windowsill accompanied by Aaron.

"Lady Elisa. Please sit," the King said morbidly.

"Yes, sir." I sat in one of the chairs across from him, sinking into the dense cushion. I held back tears from pricking my eyes. "A-am I being sent home?" I mustered to get out.

"God, no," Aaron responded a bit to hastily. America glowered at him and pinched his ear, causing him to wince.

"Oh," I said, relieved. "Why am I here?"

"Elisa," America started. "Hampton has been attacked."

"Oh my god," I said. My head began to spin a little, and my heart stung. "How? What happened?"

"We didn't comply to the Confederation Patriots requests," Maxon began.

"What did they ask for?" I inquired. I saw a flash of anger spread across Aaron's face.

"One of the selected. When we declined, they burned down almost the entire state of Hampton in consequence," Maxon replied.

"What about my family? They are ok, right?" I questioned deliriously.

America came around and placed her hand on my shoulder. "Elisa, I'm sorry to tell you this, but they burned your home to the ground. We found absolutely no traces of any of your family members."

My heart plummeted deep into my chest. "And my Uncle, Darren Fairs?" I choked. I looked hopefully at America. She shook her head. I collapsed into the chair, bringing my hands to my mouth.

Tears blurred my vision and sobs racked my body. There was so much pain and agony in my body, and I couldn't hold it anymore. I yelped, screamed, and wept as I brought my knees to my chest. I refused to look at anything or anyone.

I felt myself become lighter, and I felt a warm embrace surround me. The warmth couldn't warm my seemingly frozen body, as if my body was rejecting any feelings. I was laid upon a soft surface, and I fell asleep with a presence of warmth I could not feel beside me.

************

"Elly," a voice whispered softly. I jerked my eyes open to see Aaron looming above me.

"Aaron?" I giggled. "What are you doing-" then I remembered.

The burn.

The pain.

The deaths.

The realization hit me like bricks. I fell back on my bed, unable to process the thoughts going through my head. "How long has it been?" I stammered.

"Two days," he replied while sitting beside my empty body. I mechanically rose from my bed and went to my bathroom.

I involuntarily cleansed myself in the shower and put myself in a clean night gown. It was moderately long and made of smooth cotton. When I exited the bathroom, Aaron sat on my couch with his head in his hands.

"Where did you go? Why did you do that without saying another word to me?" He questioned.

I couldn't take the words into comprehension, but instead crawled back into my bed. "Do I really need to explain myself?" I asked softly after the thoughts were recognized.

Aaron sighed and came back to me. "I'm sorry," he murmured before kissing my forehead. He laid beside be, taking me into his arms as I cried. "It's ok," he said, his voice muffled by my hair.

"I'll never see any of them again," I sobbed. I knew I has wetted Aaron's shirt, but he didn't mind, he rubbed my back soothingly, slightly warming my skin through the thin fabric.

**********

I woke to the sound of muffled shouting in my room. I could tell it was Aaron, America, and Maxon. I kept my still position to listen in on their conversation.

"Please, let me go with her," Aaron pleaded.

"No, Aaron," Maxon said sternly. "You have duties to fulfill. She isn't the only woman here, either. People are starting to notice your favoritism."

"I don't care!" He fired back. "Let me go with her, please, at least for the funerals."

"Unacceptable!" Maxon responded.

"Maxon," America started softly. "Remember when you wanted to go with me to my father's funeral?" She asked. "Let him go," she said.

"Ames-"

"Let him go," she repeated surely. Maxon released a sigh of surrender. "Two days. She can return here, and we will have a funeral service here."

"Deal," Aaron responded.

"Don't linger too much longer," America warned. "You've been spending a noticeable amount of time with her."

"I know, Mother," Aaron said. America nodded, and she and Maxon left the room. Aaron came to lay beside me, and I pretended to wake up.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Well, it's around six-thirty," he replied. It was dark outside, and the only things illuminating my room were a few candles. "We're going to Hampton tomorrow to look through the rubble," he informed me.

"That sounds ok," I choked. I wondered what had actually survived the burn. I glanced at the piano in the room, probably gathering dust as we spoke. "Do you play piano?" I asked absently.

"Of course," he replied.

"Could you play something for me?" I requested.

"Of course, Elly," he smiled as he scooped me into his arms and sat me on the piano stool beside him. He lifted the cover over the keys and began.

His voice was soothing, sinking into my bones. The piano was old and the notes had a certain ring to it, but it only healed the bits of me that had been broken. When Aaron finished, I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he lifted me back to my bed.

I laid down next to him and wept. "I'm alone, Aaron," I sniveled. "You're the only one I have left," I sobbed. "This necklace is all I have left of them," I said while sobs wracked my body.

"Oh Elly," he murmured while kissing my forehead. "You could have so much more."

We are almost at 6k.

SIX THOUSAND VIEWS.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME RN?

When I first started this book, I only dreamed of having 50 people follow up on this story. I have made so many new friends, and they've given me a newfound confidence. I love how amazing you all have been, and I love when you come to me for story advice. It makes me feel appreciated.

And I want you guys to be appreciated.

And another thing- one of my friends found this story. She's a few years younger than me, and while we were at dance she got on my phone when I wasn't looking and looked up my wattpad account. From there, she got on her account and READ MY STORY.

We love pretty close, and we were on our way home one day when she said, "so I read your story on Wattpad. It's really good."

"NO WAY!"

Yeah, I was pretty mortified.

But I still love you Gracie ❤️

-ET