Chapter 33

The ballroom was magnificent. It was decorated in floral designs and colors, as well as filled with the light pastels of people's dresses and suits. Purple, pink, and green filled the room, and in the far off corner I could spot the Royal family in their gold attire.

I walked through the pathway people had set for me, my heels clicking the marble. I circled around the room, and many people came to greet me and introduce themselves. After a good 30 minutes of strictly talking, a waiter passed by. I grabbed a flute of champagne off the silver platter and put it to my lips.

"Oh, and how many of those have you had?" Called a familiar masculine voice from behind me.

I turned around and smiled broadly. "Father!" I cried as I threw my arms around him, dripping a few drops of champagne on him in the process. "I've missed you terribly!"

"I've missed you too, Elisa," Father said as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Elisa, is that any way to act?" Nagged a voice behind Father. I stood tall and poised as possible as Mother appeared behind Father in a purple dress that matched Father's tie.

"Hello, Mother," I said dryly. "How have you been?"

"Oh, I've been well. Have you been drinking? Oh my god, I think I'm going to faint," Mother said dramatically.

"Mother," I said demandingly. I narrowed my eyes and furrowed my brow.

"Sweetheart, don't do that. You'll get wrinkle lines," she scolded.

"I don't care! Mother, ever since I've come to the palace, I've changed. For the better, I might add. I felt so trapped under your grip, Mother. Now I've come to grow into who I am today, which is a grown woman. If you don't like it, feel free to leave," I said angrily.

I ignored their vacant expressions. "Now, if you'll excuse me." I downed the flute of champagne right in front of them and put it on the silver platter. I raised my eyebrows and smiled thinly before walking past them.

I continued to make my rounds until I saw a bright head of blonde hair. "Penelope?" I said vacantly.

"Elisa?" She turned to question. Her face lit up and she hugged me, and I was still much taller than her. She, too, wore a violet dress to match her eyes. "Oh my god! How are you?" She asked in a bubbly tone.

"I'm fine," I chuckled. "I'm fantastic, actually. The palace is amazing."

"How's the Prince?" She taunted.

"Penelope!" I scolded while blushing bright pink.

"Well?"

"He's great. Penelope, I really like him. I think I'd be ok not going to college if I got to stay with him," I whispered.

"Are you serious?" She asked softly. I nodded my head. She wrapped her arms around me again. "I'm so happy for you, Elisa.

"Well, thanks for telling me you found her!"

"It wasn't my top priority, Harry!" Penelope scoffed. I turned around to face my ever taller brother. He still towered over me as he always did.

"May I have this dance?" He asked with a grin.

"Harry, I believe April Fool's day was last week," I giggled.

"No, I know. I've been practicing." I took his extended hand and he led me out to the floor to begin a fast paced waltz.

We danced for several rounds, until the waltz changed to the Foxtrot, and to several other dances Harry did well. "You have gotten better," I commented as he spun me out.

"What did you expect? We share the same mother," he laughed.

"Point taken," I beamed.

We continued to joke about things at home. I told him about the library here, and he told me about a project he was working on. He got his family ring a few weeks ago, and was wearing it tonight. Penelope's was still at home being modified since it was too big.

"May I have this dance?" A voice behind me called after a song ended. I turned to see Aaron was standing in all white attire except for his coat, crown, tie, and other accessories.

"Please, she's all yours," Harry chuckled before kissing my knuckles.

"I'll talk to you later, ok?" I called behind him. He lifted a hand so signal a wave before dissipating into the crowd, leaving me with a laugh as Aaron slipped his hand into mine.

The music began, and I set my hand on his shoulder while his was at my waist. "Who was that?" He asked curiously. His grip on my hand was deathly tight.

"Why do you want to know?" I teased.

"Does it matter?" He said through gritted teeth. His hand on my waist tightened as well, pulling me closer to him.

"Well, if you must know, I've loved him all my life," I said half-honestly.

"Excuse me?" He said acidly with narrowed eyes. I almost broke my stare and burst into laughter.

"Yes. As a matter of fact, I still love him today," I continued. He looked away from me and shook his head, his grip growing ever tighter. "He's my brother, you idiot. I'd appreciate it if you'd let the blood in my hand circulate again."

He cracked a small smile and loosened his grasp. "I'm sorry," he said shamefully.

"Don't be," I said before pecking him on the lips quickly. "I thought it was precious, even though I couldn't feel my right hand."

The song tamed down, and I noticed almost everyone exited the dancing area. King Maxon came out onto the floor with America, her golden gown swirling as she walked. Their crowns sat atop their heads.

"If everyone except those invited would exit the dance floor for the Illèan Dance," Maxon said loudly and regally.

I turned back to Aaron with a pounding heart. "I can't do this," I breathed.

"Yes, you can," he encouraged. Marlee and an officer came out onto the floor, and Olivia was escorted by a man in a dark green tie.

I took a deep breath and Aaron squeezed my hand one last time for encouragement. The music began, and we started to the fast paced tempo. I kept my back poised while I did a triple pirouette, and ended in Aaron's arms for a deep drop.

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest while I felt everyone watch me. They didn't matter, though. The only thing important to me was this dance and Aaron. I was pulled extremely close for what was polite during the Illèan Dance, but I didn't mind. I ended once again with my nose greeting my knee.

When Aaron offered his hand and pulled me back up, I graciously accepted while thunderous applause sounded around me. Aaron kissed me cheek before waving to the circle of people around us.

"Meet me on the roof ten minutes after the ball ends," he whispered in my ear.