Chapter 11

A few days later, I was early to breakfast and caught Kiara in the hallway. "Hey," she smiled brightly. Her blonde hair was swept up into an elegant braided bun. I returned the smile, and we continued towards to the dining hall.

The only people seated at the dining table was the Royal family. I took a seat beside Princess Marlee, and Kiara sat beside me. Queen America smiled lightly. "Good morning, ladies."

"Good morning, Queen America," we said simultaneously.

She turned back to King Maxon to discuss something with him, and Princess Marlee turned to face us. "Hey, what are your names? I don't think I've met you in the women's room."

"I'm Kiara, and this is Elisa," Kiara spoke. I gave a small wave.

"So you're the two?" She asked. I almost choked on my water.

"Yes," I said cautiously. "How did you know?"

"Well, one day in the women's room a girl with bright red hair started yelling profanities about how you're a unicorn," she laughed. "I was confused as you are, but she explained it later."

"Lilly," Kiara said while we laughed. The other girls started flooding in. We were all eating our breakfast quietly when Kiara muttered something to me.

"Sorry? I didn't hear you," I apologized.

"Three got sent home. I counted, there's only 27."

"This is starting to make me nervous," I replied.

"Don't be. You were the first one to go on a date, and you probably don't have anything to worry about since you haven't already been sent home."

I nodded, but my appetite was gone. I excused myself from breakfast and exited towards my room, and I exchanged a smile and nod with Aaron when I saw him in the hallway.

We hadn't spoken since our date, but he's probably just been busy. I was turning a corner when he turned around and grabbed my arm, forcing me to look back at him. "Elisa," I he said getting my attention.

"Yes, Aaron?"

"Would you mind if I came by after lunch this afternoon?"

"No, of course not," I smiled. He smiled too and then turned to go back to whatever he was doing. I went into my room and saw my maids playing a card game.

They gave the usual 'hello' chorus that I almost always responded with a wave and a smile. I sat down in the chair across from them and cracked my book open. I sat there staring at the slender black font until the story ended.

I recurred my hair since it was a little after lunch, and I heard a knock at my door. I went to open the door and told my maids I was leaving. "Hello, Elisa," Aaron greeted.

"Aaron," I smiled as I took his arm. He guided me down seemingly endless hallways before taking me outside to the stables. He took me up to a tall black mare and pet her mane.

"This is my horse, Midna," he introduced.

"She's beautiful," I complimented. It was true. Her mane and coat shined, and they were the color of the night sky. I went up to her and pet her snout, showing her I was friendly.

"Would you like to ride?" He asked. I turned around nervously.

"I-I've never ridden a horse," I stuttered.

"Really? Why not? You seem like you'd love it."

"Mother didn't think it was ladylike."

"Well, Mother isn't here right now," Aaron smiled mischievously. I felt my skirts lift off the ground and I was set down on the back of her saddle. I squealed in surprise, and Aaron laughed as he hopped up to join me in front of the saddle.

"You may want to hold on," he said before grabbing the reigns. I wrapped my arms around his torso, and he kicked off. I gripped him harder and pulled myself closer to him, not expecting the kickoff to have that much recoil.

Aaron laughed at my reaction, and I buried my head in his shoulder. "Elisa, just relax," he called over the wind.

I loosened my grip and brought my head back. The wind played with my hair and tousled it around. We cut through the fields and all of the beautiful landscape turned into lush green blurs. It was exhilarating, and I never felt this way before.

I felt free.