Three

"This is delicious," I said around a mouthful of fruit the next morning. "You should have some." Stefano and I sat in the dining room the next morning, talking over breakfast. "You really should eat healthier. You'll live a long and robust life."

He gave me a look only a mother could love. "I think I'll stick with my bacon and eggs, thank you very much. I don't know how you subsist eating like a rabbit all of the time."

I closed my jaw around another bite of dragonfruit and smiled as I chewed. "I don't eat like a rabbit. People weren't meant to eat all that bread." I pointed to the toast on his plate. "And all the fat and grease isn't good for you either."

He scowled at me. "Just eat your breakfast and let me enjoy mine." He made a show out of taking a huge bite of eggs immediately followed with bacon, even going so far as to chew with his mouth open. Gross.

"Okay," I said, disgusted with his eating. "Dude, just eat. And close your mouth. Don't be gross."

"Don't call me dude." He swallowed some orange juice. "Dude." He shook his head and smiled, despite his irritation.

I didn't want to do it. My mouth got away from me, though. "Dude, dude, dude." I gulped down some of my own orange juice around a smile of my own. I loved being a pain. That's how I ended up being so spoiled. My dad, uncle and even my brothers got me whatever I wanted just to shut me up. Although, if you were to hear them explain why I'm spoiled, it's because I'm the only girl in three generations.

"It's going to be a long day," he muttered. "I'm glad you'll be out shopping during most of it. Just be careful. I don't want to regret the decision to let you out of the house today."

"Oh, come now, Uncle." I stood to walk into the kitchen and put my plate in the sink. "It's daylight. Vampires can't go out in the daylight. I'll be perfectly fine. Only the dark is dangerous." I rinsed my plate and set it down.

"You're not really helping matters here, Camille. And you know damned good and well it isn't just the dark that's dangerous." He sounded strained, like he was trying to keep his tone level. My father always told me that I could derange a person in thirty seconds flat. I guess I succeeded.

"Well, call this driver and I'll get out of your hair for a few hours." I was itching to spend my father's money. Plus I wanted to look into getting a motorcycle or a moped, something to keep my money in my own wallet. I was tired of paying taxi fares.

Once Stefano said he'd make the call, I disappeared to my bedroom to get dressed. I chose a pair of simple jeans and a tank top. Adorning my neck with the silver star necklace I always wore, I applied minimal makeup to my face. I followed with a simple pair of small hoop earrings and braided my long raven hair. Looking at myself in the mirror, I decided I might try something different with my hair today. I took out my phone and searched hair salons. I didn't want to do anything too drastic like cut it all off, but I thought maybe some highlights or streaks. I'd talk to a stylist about it later.

When I emerged from my room, it was to find Stefano and a younger guy talking softly amongst themselves. "What are the two of you talking about so quietly over there?" I asked, throwing myself onto my usual plush, leather chair decorating Stefano's office. It was more like a library, though. To a normal person - one who didn't grow up in the dark shadow of the hunting world - it was something more akin to a library research room. The walls were covered with dark bookshelves encumbered with thousands of dusty tomes, which my uncle and father both insisted we might need some day, but still haven't had the chance to use most of yet. The far end of the room was dwarfed by my uncle's dark mahogany desk, which they were standing behind.

"Were discussing your itinerary for the day," Stefano stated, clearing his throat and glancing at his younger counterpart. "This is Aiden. He will be driving wherever you wish to go today."