Chapter 8 - An Awkward Morning

Waking dozily in a crisp white bed that definitely was not his, Rookie opened his eyes to the room around him. He recalled the evening before and the circumstances of how he actually woke up in this bed. It wasn't Guy's bed - it was his GUEST bed (very different). Still, waking up in Guy's house filled him with a sort of... warmth. Deep down, it felt right.

Pushing aside those feelings along with the duvet, he slid out of the bed and walked outside into the hallway. As he did, the white walls caught the newly risen sun and Rookie was blinded for a second. As he brought his hands up to shield his eyes, he let out a small groan. The winter sun was bright and warm against his skin but he couldn't stand basking in its warmth for too long - he had already overstayed his welcome by staying the night. 

Arriving in the kitchen,  Rookie was welcomed with a plate of toast and a drink along with the sight of Guy frying something at the stove. 
"Guy?" Rookie called out groggily, "How are you functioning this early?"
Guy turned his head slightly to look at Rookie through the side of his sunglasses, "Well it's already 8AM so I've already been on my morning run. I thought of asking you if you wanted to join me but you were still asleep and seemed comfortable."
Rookie gripped his shirt before realizing it was one that Guy lended him to sleep in. This made him blush slightly. However he blushed more violently when he realised he was only wearing Guy's shirt and his boxers.
"T-thanks Guy, for letting me stay but I'm pretty sure I've caused you enough trouble already so I'm gonna go get changed and get out of your hair-" Rookie managed to put together before turning around.
"But you haven't eaten your toast. Breakfast is very important you know." Guy said.
"Right," Rookie sighed before turning around, "can I put some pants on first?"
"Oh... yeah that would be cool."

After putting on the pants he was wearing last night, Rookie walked back out into the kitchen to where Guy was sliding an egg onto the plate along with the toast. 
"Breakfast." Guy said,
"Okay I get it I'll eat it." Rookie muttered before biting into the toast.

***

After finishing his breakfast and finding the bag he brought there with him, Rookie started towards the front door. The night had been fun but he was sure Guy didn't need any more time with him there. He was clumsy and messy and guy's house was quite frankly immaculate. It was a bit freaky. As Rookie reached the door and began to turn the handle, it jammed and wouldn't open.
"It's locked," came from Guy behind him,
"Oh." Rookie murmured,
"You were really gonna leave without saying goodbye?" Guy asked, a slight tone of sadness coating his voice.
"I thought you would have more important things to do." Rookie said awkwardly,
"You're my best friend. Nothing's more important than you." Guy stated.

Rookie's heart fluttered. The comment was great to hear even if he was friend-zoned in the process. It caused a war in his head. Was he the most important person or was he just a friend? Would he still be the most important person to Guy if he found out about his- his what? Totally platonic feelings? There was nothing romantic between them and it was going to stay that way.

"You too," Rookie finally replied, realising that he had been thinking for too long, "you mean a lot to me."
Guy smiled slightly at this. The silence between them seemed to stretch on for too long before it got awkward between them. 

They both said their goodbyes to each other and Guy unlocked the door. Rookie journeyed back to his apartment to collapse on his bed. He finally had time to process what happened.

He works at a secret agency.

It's very dangerous.

But it's so cool.

So, so cool.