Chapter 2

Chapter 2

In the evening, Kushi was in the kitchen cooking a new dish she was learning and talking with her mother when her father stormed into the house.

"Kushi!" Shashi bellowed.

The ladies jerked and glanced at each other shocked, as her father called his princess by her name.

"Uh-oh!" Kushi said.

"What did you do?" Garima asked.

Kushi bit her lip and almost cried, "Save me, Amma."

"Kushi!"

She jumped.

Garima blinked her eyes in assurance and walked outside. Kushi followed her.

"Why are you shouting as if the house is on fire?" Garima asked as she came to the living room. Shashi was standing in the middle room, his suit jacket and tie gone, looking outright furious.

"If you know what our beloved daughter did, you'll also do the same," Shashi said and noticed Kushi behind her, "You! Stop behind your mother."

"Don't take that tone with her," Garima scolded her husband.

He ignored his wife's words and continued, "What less did I do for you, Princess?" he asked hurt, "Did I ever give you a chance to hide anything from me? How can you not say such a big thing to me?"

Kushi felt guilty. While Garima became excited.

"Don't be a drama Queen, Shashi," Garima brushed him off. "One day she has to leave us, right."

He looked at his wife shocked. "You know this matter," He asked unbelievably, "I thought I am your best friend, princess."

"Not everything could be shared with her father," Garima countered, "Anyway I too know this now only." She turned to Kushi and cupped her cheek lovingly, "Who is the boy, beta?"

Kushi frowned while Shashi scoffed.

"From where did a boy come?" Shashi asked furiously.

"Are you talking about her love?" Garima asked, disappointed.

Both the father and daughter rolled their eyes.

"No, my dear matharani," Shashi said annoyed, passing an envelope to Garima, "Look at this."

Garima opened the envelope curiously. Kushi swallowed as her mother's expression changed.

"Why?" Garima asked dramatically with tears in her eyes.

"Amma," Kushi tried to reason, "I am just going to Delhi for a job. I won't be staying there permanently."

"Why do you have to work in some other office when you have our office?" Shashi asked hurt.

"Really, Dad?" Kushi asked in disbelief, "You are asking me that? Don't you remember my internship?"

He huffed and turned his face away.

"You'd come up behind me and poke your nose in whatever little work you give me. Even before I solve the task, you'd have the solution ready before I could even have the chance to brainstorm," Kushi accused.

Shashi was silent.

"Even the staff also wouldn't let me do a single work. Not even lifting a pencil."

"I agree," Shashi lifted his hands up in surrender, "You could find any job here in Mumbai only, right? Why do you have to go to Delhi?" he reasoned.

"Because I want to learn from the best," Kushi said simply.