Chapter 1

The sun rose above the horizon, spreading its warm rays on the huge city of Mumbai. The traffic was buzzing with the passing time as people moved to run the errands in their daily lives. Among the lakhs of the population, there was one person who was sleeping peacefully without any worry in the world.

The chirping sounds of the birds outside the window reached her ears and a small smile spread on her face, as she hugged her teddy bear. Distantly, she heard a crashing sound and then a few seconds later, whispered voices.

"Hey, Bhagwan! How many times did I tell you?" Garima, her mother's whispered yell, came from outside the bedroom, "Kushi is sleeping. Be careful!"

"I can tell the age of my whitened hair, madamji," came the comeback from Imli, "Except that."

Kushi Kumari Gupta's smile broadened at the reply of Imli, their servant for ten years. She was not only a servant but also their well-wisher.

"There is no shortage of these words from you," Garima scolded and Kushi could imagine her mother keeping her hands on her hips and glaring at Imli.

Smiling Kushi slowly opened her eyes and she stretched her body lazily like a kitten. She sighed and sat upon the bed, rubbing her palms and placing the warm palms over her eyes. She then grabbed her teddy and placed a slouchy kiss on the head.

"Good morning, my grumpy bear," Kushi said and then hopped off the bed. She went to the door and opened it to find Imli picking up glass pieces while her mother glowered above her.

"Good morning, Amma," Kushi said, hugging her mother and giving a flying kiss to Imli, "Imli."

Seeing Kushi, Garima held her head and exclaimed, "Oh god, we woke you up? I told you," she glared down at Imli, "See what you did."

"If you hadn't told me to be careful, then I wouldn't have dropped the cup, madamji," Imli pouted.

Kushi laughed and they both looked at her. "Amma, you know her weakness. She drops things when you remind her. Then why did you?"

"You know me too. I cannot stop myself from saying," Garima shook her head, "Another teacup set added to her numerous break list since she joined this home."

Kushi laughed. Imli poured.

"Don't worry, Amma," Kushi squeezed her, "Say to Dad. He'll buy how many ever tea sets you want."

"Ha, madamji," Imli said, nodding as she stood up with the broken pieces.

"Why?" Garima glared, "So that you can break them too?"

Imli pouted and looked at Kushi.

Kushi blinked her eyes and turned to her mother, "Oh my beautiful mommy, leave her. Did you and Dad have your green tea?"

Garima nodded.

"What about your medicines?"

Garima looked anywhere but her. Kushi signaled Imli with her hand to leave.

"Now, I see why you are so worked up," Kushi crossed her arms.

"They're so bitter," Garima said like a child.

"What about Dad?"

"He's worse than me."

Kushi narrowed her eyes.

"You both are worse. Be ready to have a green juice," saying Kushi turned around and entered her bedroom. As she closed the door, she heard her mother shout.

"Shashi!"

Kushi laughed at her mother's reaction as she headed to the washroom to get ready for the day. She would bet that her mother would be marching to her father and shouting at him.