He knows as he got older, Regulus was his shadow. They'd spend hours playing together and hiding from their Mother. They would hide in the back of the garden, near an old tree and declare that they were living there forever. Neither of them felt safe at home. Reg spent years wetting the bed, especially after nightmares involving their parents. Sirius would sneak around changing the bedding and making sure his Mother wouldn't find out. Sirius would always take punishments for Reg, protecting him from harm. If his brother was being punished, Sirius would do something outrageous to distract his parents from his timid little brother and take a worse punishment for himself.

Sirius realises that's why it hurts so much. He did all that, practically raised his brother and still couldn't save his brother from fate. He still couldn't stop his brother from making the wrong choice. He looks at Zion, a horrible anxiety washing over him. What if he couldn't stop his own children from following those footsteps?

His thoughts are interrupted by the front door, he takes his wand out of his hair, his locks falling to his shoulders and holds it out ready. He sighs in relief when James enters, shoving the wand in his back pocket.

"We have Remus news." James says, turning around to encourage someone to enter.

Sirius expects to see Remus, but is surprised to see Rafe instead, closely followed by Lily. He goes for his wand again, he doesn't trust Rafe and points it towards him. James rolls his eyes pointedly, as if to say 'Bit rude that'.

"I saw Remus-" Rafe stares at the wand pointing at him and let's out a nervous noise, "Ermm, I saw Remus yesterday- sorry can you stop pointing the wand at me?"

"My child and pregnant girlfriend are here, so no." Sirius says with a shrug, pointing it with more force.

"Sirius." James warns, "Werewolves are nervous around magic."

"And I'm nervous around Werewolves." Sirius hisses.

"Sirius." Kate warns, glaring at him and he lowers his wand obediently.

Rafe clears is throat awkwardly, "Yeah, he's in a bad way. Angry..snappy..he seems determined too, like he's after something."

Sirius looks at James with confusion, "What is he after?"

"I assumed Tate and Amelia, but.. I don't know." Rafe shrugs sadly, "He seems broken, but I don't think he wants to be fixed."

"Explains why he didn't come home." Lily whispers sadly, "He's cutting us off."

"He thinks it's me." Sirius says, collapsing into the chair behind him, "He thinks I betrayed you."

Rafe frowns at him, "I thought that too at first, but now.. I don't think it was either of you."

Sirius tries to read Rafe but he can't. He was so certain it was him but now the doubt creeps in his mind. The man standing in front of them is sad. He's lost his family. Families betray each other all the time, but they don't often look so defeated. Rafe is standing tall anymore, he looks as if he's been knocked down his pedestal and doesn't have the strength to get back up again.

"It wasn't you either." Sirius mumbles, glancing at Rafe who confirms with a nod.

"What about the other man you were with?"