DearVanté

A thought at 2 AM

A thought at 2 AM. Sorry, it was on the fly.

10/12/91

Dear DeVante Swing,

I hope you see this. My grandmother told me if you write something enough times then it'll happen. I don't know how true that is but I thought it was worth the shot. My name is Augustine-Rose... Just call me Tina, please. I'm nineteen and I go to UNLV. Go Rebels? I don't know if you're much into sports. I don't have much to say in this letter besides thank you. Thank you for all of the music you put out. Playing your latest record makes studying for exams so much easier. Thank you for being on tv too. I know that sounds kind of weird but I don't see myself in a lot of people on tv even when they look like me but the things you say (when you do talk) and the way you carry yourself really feels at home for me. So thank you and I'm rooting for you guys until the sky turns purple and we all go down for Y2K.

Sending All My Love,
Tina

~•~

1/2/92

Dearest Augustine-Rose (Tina),

What's up Tina? Thank for you writing me. You don't know how good it feels to get the kind of letters you sent. Maybe your grandmother was right. I laughed because it sounded like something my mother would say but she tells me to pray. I don't watch sports a lot but it's cool to know you're in college. I don't like to talk much neither. They've never been my thing and my brother (Mr. Dalvin) is a lot better at it than I am. I don't know what I said that made you feel the way you felt but if you could tell me so I can say it ten more times and make more people like you happy then that would be so dope. You don't have to thank me for being on tv. I ain't nobody special. I just make music. I hope I hear from you again.

D. Swing

P.S. Don't listen to these people. 1999 is nothing but a Prince song. Y2K is bullshit.

~•~

1/16/92

DeVante,

My most embarrassing moment used to be the day I walked out of the bathroom with tissue on my shoe in the 11th grade. Now it's the way I screamed at the mailbox when I saw your letter. I have to ask because it's killing me but do you get to write these letters a lot? I didn't expect you to answer. My cousin's best friend writes you guys all the time but never got anything. Once it came back with a return to sender stamp. You said you aren't anybody special but YOU ARE WRONG. Nobody can do what you do or how you do it. You asked what you said that stuck with me so much. It was the bit on Video LP when you were talking about you guys being regular people. Celebrities always say that but then they walk around in full glitter bodysuits and sunglasses with crowns on. You guys walk around like regular brothers and that's so real. As long as you stay the way you are then I promise we (the fans) will always love you.