UncleVanté

I never get the chance to write him how I genuinely imagine him being in today's world

I never get the chance to write him how I genuinely imagine him being in today's world. I really hope you guys enjoy. :)

Phoenix rolls the car around the corner with a smooth glide all based in the ease of her wrist as she single handedly turns the steering wheel. The top down on her Porsche as she chauffeurs her friend and current partner in crime through the empty streets of a quarantined Los Angeles. Crystal clear treble and lung quaking bass producing sound in her luxurious vehicle, Phoenix allows the fresh breeze and declaration of SZA refusing to return to her job at a strip club to fill her with positive energy.

"Where we going again," asks Anastasia from the passenger's seat. Her pupils dilate as she pulls her hamburger from the bag. Nothing makes her happier in recent times than a thick, juicy patty and dry french fries from In N Out Burger.

They'd been riding around all day without any true intentions. After the world suddenly fell into a literal international quarantine in the midst of a frightening pandemic, the search for true happiness somehow became even harder than it was two months prior to April of 2020. The shutdown left the city closed down and on curfew. Effects hit closer to home than Anastasia expected, leaving her trapped in Los Angeles with the friend she was temporarily visiting as her life remains in Ohio. Phoenix took it with ease and even as Anastasia lost her every cool, Phoenix made it her goal to keep her comfortable. Underneath all of the turmoil, Anastasia finds comfort in knowing it is Phoenix who she is trapped with.

"To see my uncle," says Phoenix as she holds out her hand for Anastasia to hand over her hamburger. "He's a bit to himself already but I haven't heard from him in two weeks and we talk once a week. I asked my mom and she said nobody over there's talked to him either so we finna' do a wellness check."

Anastasia nods, handing Phoenix her hamburger as they come to an easy halt at the red light. A homeless man standing at the corner approaches the car, mumbling what felt like a foreign language to most to Phoenix as he smiles with pleading eyes. Not comfortable with California's homeless population, Anastasia looks in the other direction as she speaks. "Why don't you like..." Phoenix mumbles something to the man in a playful reply and they share a laugh as Anastasia struggles to keep her thoughts together, watching Phoenix hand the homeless man an undisclosed amount of money.

The light turns green.

"Take care of yourself," shouts Phoenix as she pulls off. She turns to Anastasia, assuring her that the interaction is a normalcy in her life. "That's Raymond... He lives in the tents two blocks over. I always hook him up." Realizing her friend has no idea how to respond, Phoenix tosses her the talking stick. "Why don't I what? Call him? Because I already did that."

Anastasia's head shakes. "No, ask your grandma. Isn't she like the root to everything?"

"She is but my uncle isn't my uncle. He's my god-dad. I just call him my uncle," informs Phoenix. Humming in understanding, Anastasia nods, taking in the new information about her past college roommate. "When my parents still lived in New York but before they met, my dad worked with my uncle but my mom lived with him."