Chapter Twenty - The Shadow That Remains

Start from the beginning

   "Do you want to talk about it?" Willow asks, leaning into me.

   "No." I mumble and turn to look at her. "You're not acting like yourself either."

   "I'm turning a new leaf. Being more forgiving, patient, understanding…it's called growth."

   I snort at that. "And what about the others? Are they looking at life with a fresh take like you?"

   "Basically."

   I don't mean to laugh, but it feels good. It feels good for my voice to break the invisible barrier of depression. But it also feels bizarre hearing Willow laugh with me. The sound is infectious, making me laugh harder.

   "Come on." She says, face glowing. "You should sit with us. I hate that you're here all by yourself. Don't think I havent noticed how distant you and Mateo have gotten. I warned you about him."

   I tilt my head to the side. "Did you?"

   "I'm pretty sure I did. And if you don't remember then that shows just how well your listening skills are."

   My smile feels forced now. Thinking about Mateo makes me sad. It feels like I've lost another friend. He's been missing in action for a week. He doesn't pick up his phone or text me back and he's skipping school. He just vanished without a word as to where he's gone. If he were dead it would be all over the news and no one would be able to stop talking about it for months, so it can't be that. Maybe he's gone away on a trip with his uncle or maybe he had a family emergency. I don't know and thinking about it will suffocate me.

   Willow's hand in mine feels warm and familiar as she leads me to Alex and Jennifer. Of course Alex looks uncomfortable, squirming in his seat before standing and walking away just as Willow and I arrive at the table.

   "What's wrong with him?" Willow asks, sitting down next to Jennifer.

   She shrugs. "His stomach was hurting him. I think he ate too much."

   "Typical."

   "So, Quince," Jen says, turning to me. "I heard about that whole thing with your dad. It must suck living with an alcoholic."

   Great conversation starter.

   "What the hell, Jenny? That's a sensitive topic for Quin. You know that."

   "No, it's okay. Everyone has been asking about it. I mean, yeah, it does suck, but my dad is getting help, so…" Well, I hope he is, but knowing him, probably not.

   Jennifer nods her head slowly. "My dad died from drinking."

   Willow rolls her eyes. "Jenny, we know. You literally tell us this all the time. Can we talk about something else, please?"

   I never knew this and I open my mouth to tell Jennifer, but she's quick to change the subject much to Willow's satisfaction. "Mm! Latoya is having a party on the 24th to raise money for Native Americans in our state."

   "No freaking way. I literally did that last year. God, she is so obsessed with trying to be like me. What organization is she funding?"

   "She won't tell, but word on the street is that she's just using the money to buy herself a ticket to Dubai for the summer."

   "Who is Latoya?" I ask for my own sanity. It's been a while since I've talked to Jennifer and Willow like this, so my brain is struggling to keep up with their conversation.

   "Literally a wannabe 'it' girl. She lives in Creaksterville and goes to the public school there. Girl has no money or status whatsoever, but felt the need to at me in her instagram story. Let me just say before anything that I followed her because her mom is a total sweetheart who came over to help me decorate for my dog's party last month and she was like a literal genius. Like, I love her, but her daughter is such a snake."

   "I mean, what did she do?"

   "Okay, so, a week after my party she posts on her story that I was a rude host. Like something about not offering her mom any of the food or whatever that was made for my guests. And it was like a freaking doggy party, so the food was mostly dog treats. So, I don't really know what she expected. Anyways, she was pretty much saying how her mom worked for hours with 'little pay' and no handouts. She was pretty much bashing my name."

   "Yeah and I was at the party and I literally saw you give her water which was so nice of you. And she did amazing, but like I hope she didn't think that she needed to be paid more for a doggy themed party. Like she's good, but not that good."

   "Right? So, now no party planners want to work with me and I can't even set up an event for Thanksgiving myself. Hence Latoya doing one knowing that I can't do it. She's literal scum."

   "We should go to her party and ruin it."

   "I'm so down to just go and blast the living shit out of it."

   The girls share a laugh while I scarf down the rest of my lunch. By the time I'm finished eating, the bell has rung and my head is pounding from the conversation. I definitely didn't miss this: talking nonstop about the dumbest things. But I get it. I hate being disrespected more than the next guy, but from the sounds of it, I can see it being both their faults. Willow's for not being a good host and Latoya for not bringing the matter directly to Willow and instead posting her complaints on social media. This small feud can easily be diminished, but I know Willow. She thrives on drama and competition.

   "So, are you coming?" Willow asks as she stands, glancing down at me.

   "Uh, where? I have to go to class."

   Jennifer rolls her eyes. "Not class, dummy. Are you going to Latoya's event with us? To ruin it."

   "Probably not. I have dinner plans already set for that night." Plus sabotaging an event isn't really my forte.

   Willow pouts. "You can't cancel?"

   "Obviously not. Let me guess, your dinner has something to do with the Gonzalez's? My mom and I were invited too, so don't feel special. Either way, I'm not going and neither should you."

   Willow elbows Jennifer in her arm a little. "You're literally being a bitch right now, Jenny. It doesn't look cute. If Quince can't come then she can't come. We're not going to force her. We can do other stuff some other time with her. Right, Quin?"

   "Uh, yeah. Sure. I'm down."

   This is so unlike Willow. In the past, she'd cling to my arm and beg me to come along with her for something like this. She wouldn't stop asking until I agreed. She's definitely changed. I suppose we all have.

   "Yay, Quinny! I'm so excited!" She squeals, squeezing my hand. "I'm glad that we made up. I really missed you."

   "I missed you too!" Jennifer says as she clings on to Willow, but it sounds forced. I have to bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from rolling my eyes.

   "Let's talk more after school, yeah?"

   Before I can reply, the two girls leave, following the tide of students out of the cafeteria. I wait for the area to be mostly empty before throwing out my tray and heading off to class.