"Night, Vanessa." Glenn calls after me. "Thank you for coming with us today."

"Yeah. That what family does, huh." I peer my shoulder, meeting his and Rick's eyes. "It wasn't worth the risk after all." I continue my trek up the stairs.

Barely ten minutes later, I'm back in the comfort of my own bed. My hand finds itself on Daryl's side. I purse my lips, remembering that it was only this morning that he and Aaron departed for a trip. He's been gone for a whole day. "I hope you're okay." I breathe out. "I could use you tonight, Dare. I really fucked up." I turn over, putting my back to the empty space.

Sounds of glass crashing, shouting, and fighting propel my legs out of the salon

Sounds of glass crashing, shouting, and fighting propel my legs out of the salon. Leaving my shears on Wren's desk, I run as fast I can, following the noise and commotion. Dressed in my regular work clothes, black leggings, black tank top, regular tennis shoes, and apron; newly acquired black bandanna pulls my hair out of my face. I make it to the front of the community. I watch in horror as Rick is coated in blood, on top of Jesse's husband, Pete. Anger at Rick sores through my veins as I see him shove his son back. What the fuck?

I barrel over, bringing Carl close to my body. I take a second to make sure he's okay. Satisfied that he's unhurt, I bring my attention to the people in front of me. I wrap my arms around Carl, keeping him out of harms way.

"Damn it! Rick, I said stop it." Deana bellows. Red anger paints her cheeks.

I shove Carl behind me, as Rick pulls out a pistol and beginning to wave it around like it was some silly toy. Kelly comes stand to next to us, helping me shield the youngest Grimes. I meet his concern expression with one of my own. 

"Or what? You're gonna kick me out?" Rick cocks his head at the community leader.

"Put that gun down, Rick."

"You still don't get it. None of you do! We know what needs to be done and we do it. We're the ones who live. You, you just sit and plan and hesitate. You pretend like you know when you don't. You wish things weren't what they are. Well, you want to live? You want this place to stay standing? Your way of doing things is done. Things don't get better because you-- you want them to. Starting right now, we have to live in the real world. We have to control who lives here."

"That's never been more clear to me than it is right now." Venom drips into Deana's tone.

"Me? Me? You-" Rick laughs, "you mean-- you mean me? Your way is gonna destroy this place. It's gonna get people killed. It's already gotten people killed. And I'm not gonna stand by and just let it happen. If you don't fight, you die. I'm not gonna stand by--"

Relief washes over me when Michonne knocks Rick out and takes his gun.