2: 8

Melody's tummy was full of fluttering butterflies after she said good bye to her daughter and Alexander and followed Delia to her car. Cyrus had a tag in Melody's bag to help him follow at a distance so Delia didn't get nervous. Melody hadn't really gone out with friends since before she moved to Maine and met Alexander, and since then all her socializing was with wolves at their own, private events. Melody was anxious that she would embarrass herself or not fit in at the club.

She was worrying the inside of her cheek with her teeth, when Delia chimed with her happy pleasant voice, "You don't need to be nervous, we'll just head back to my place, get changed and ready and then we can head back into the city, grab dinner and then head over to Ruby's."

"I'm not nervous" Melody lied, her voice light and airy, hiding how tense she was inside. Delia gave her a side eye that let Melody know her friend knew she was lying.

Delia kept the happy banter up on the relatively short drive to her home, which did help keep Melody at ease. Until Delia turned down a country lane with large lush trees and plenty of rose bushes that would be starting to bloom soon lining the way. It was peaceful and had a similar feeling to the pack lands. Which surprised Melody, she was pretty certain Delia wasn't a shifter, or else Delia would have said something about the mark on her neck by now. Melody looked at the faint puncture wound scars on her wrist before covering them with her opposite hand. Hopefully no one noticed them or asked what they were from. Melody had done a lot of healing since that day, but thinking about her father and how he died and died again still upset her to this day.

Delia parked the car in the large front drive, Melody had grown used to impossibly large houses since touring various wolf packs with Alexander, however she was shocked to find that Delia lived in a mansion as well. Her car was a modest corolla, not even the newest year, and nothing about Delia said she had wealth like this house implied.

"It's a family home, it's been in our family for generations." Delia said, like she was embarrassed of her home.

"Its beautiful" Melody said sincerely as she looked at the perfect Victorian garden with statues and fountains off to one side. She would have liked to explore the grounds more. It was much more manicured than any pack house ground Melody had seen and reminded her of old English gardens like on Downton Abby. She liked it. Maybe she could convince Alexander to let her plan a garden on the pack lands. Melody had always liked ducks, and a little pond would be very relaxing.

As the car rolled to a stop, and Delia unbuckled her belt, she paused for a moment, "Mama is home, and she is going to drive us back into the city. She can be a little intense sometimes, but she means well I promise." Delia said, hastily.

Melody was a little nervous now after Delia's warning. But she still felt safe and trusting Delia. She trusted her gut. She was safe here. She knew it like she knew her name. She followed Delia a pace behind as she walked up the ornate stone steps to the double extra wide and tall door way that Delia threw open and walked in.

An older, taller version of Delia walked into the room, and Melody could feel her eyes studying her. She reached to cover her claim from Alexander with the hand that also bore the vampire bite scar, like she was trying to hide them even though she wasn't really aware of what she was doing. "Melody, this is my mama, Caroline. Mama, this is Melody." Delia chirped out.

"Pleasure to meet you ma'am" Melody said, overly politely. Feeling suddenly very unsure of herself in front of Delia's mom. Something about how she held herself had unnerved Melody.

Caroline laughed, holding her belly with her hand as her loud laugh echoed over the entryway and main foyer. "Bless me, don't call me ma'am I am not old enough for that yet." Caroline crossed the room and strode towards Melody, gently taking her chin between her thumb and first finger, and starring in her eyes. "You are far more interesting than people have ever given you credit for." she said with a flat tone to her voice. Then she shook her head, and smiled brightly at Melody and Delia, before offering them a snack in the kitchen before they got ready to go out. Melody felt bewildered after the encounter.