"The bartender uses they/them pronouns," I told him. "Pronouns are—"

"I know what pronouns are," he cut me off.

"Do you? What are yours?"

His eyes turned to slits. "I'm a guy."

I snorted and shook my head at him.

"I'll just refer to you as guy then," I retorted.

"You know what I mean."

"Do I?"

Landon's gaze seemed to get even harsher as he stared at me. His eyes were a dark, forest-like green that held so much behind them. They seemed like an actual forest, deep and dark, easy to lose your way in if you didn't know your way around. I was worried if I looked in his eyes for too long, I'd get trapped in them and never find my way out. This thought was new and strange and I hated it, but still I felt like I couldn't look away.

"Sometimes I think you are purposely obtuse," I told him, taking a sip of my water and quickly taking my eyes off his.

"You use words like obtuse and wonder why people find you odd."

I laughed, shaking my head. "I've never wondered, or cared, why people find me odd."

He stared at me for a moment, then looked down at the table and nodded.

"People aren't really my thing," I added. "I don't really care what they think of me."

"That makes one of us," Landon muttered.

I was surprised he would say something like that without being under the influence of alcohol, but I didn't let my surprise show. Landon wasn't really as much of an open book to me as I made him think he was, and I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity of him letting me in.

He took a sip of his water and looked around the room. His expression was blank, but I swore I saw some interest there as he watched the strangers dancing around the room, the variety of people that were before us and looking like they were living their lives to the fullest.

"I'm surprised you've stayed here this long," I told him, causing him to turn his gaze to me. "Considering how many queer people are around."

He scoffed. "I have nothing against queer people."

"Anymore," I added.

He rolled his eyes, but didn't disagree.

"You just don't like the fact that you're queer," I said.

"We're not talking about this."

I grinned at him. "Don't worry. You're not the only one that's ever felt like that. Definitely not the only one in this room."

"Not talking about it."

"I used to hate myself for it too," I admitted. "Though, probably not nearly as much as you do, but I did. It took being around more people like me to really accept it and be okay with it."

Landon's expression turned to one of surprise, and I couldn't tell if it was because of what I said or because I actually said something about my own struggles to him. I didn't know why I did it. Maybe this place just brought out something in me, but I just wanted Landon to stop being so hard on himself, at least in here where he was surrounded by people who wouldn't judge him for being himself.

Neither of us had time to say anything else before Mara showed up at our table with a drink, placing it in front of Landon.

"Oh, I didn't order this," Landon told them in a polite manner.