25

Lahote's presence in the area only seems to make the Chief more adamant that locking the three of them away is the answer. Jacob's not complaining, but he'd love to take a step aside, drive to the diner, take a sip of coffee that isn't from the pot downstairs, observe the locals, head into work and listen to his team bumble about what they'd managed to get into over the weekend. He'd love to listen to Edward's brother's debate over whatever has come across their desk, even misses the speculation over their relationship. Which is probably brewing over at this point. He wants to be out in the field, trying to solve a mystery that isn't how all of the forks in the house seemed to have disappeared. Something fresh and new.

Jacob can map out Edward's movements before he makes them. For instance, he knows that as soon as they step out of the bathroom and the steam follows them into the bedroom, Edward's going to make a b-line straight for the dresser. He's going to grab a shirt first and then he's going to drop his towel and grab for a pair of boxers. It's this mapping of his behavior that informs Jacob that he has a good ten second window to just look. Nothing to distract him, no steam, no touching. Just Edward standing in enough light for Jacob to really take note of the little changes without Edward getting all shy. 

He's lost a good bit of muscle definition and that's leant itself to a softer look. His stomach is less marble and more clay, abdominal muscles becoming more and more subtle by the day. His skin doesn't seem as sallow. He's still pale, but he has this slight hint of a flush over his skin. His hair is half an inch longer and, by the time it's dry, will be just as disheveled as it's been since they'd stopped going into the station. 

Edward doesn't comment on the changes, but Jacob knows he can see them, knows that means something. His brothers don't age, don't change. Even with the girlfriends that Edward so flippantly mentions, they stay the same, like statues marking an era. Edward, on the other hand, has stubble he's been procrastinating shaving.

"Ya gonna keep stealing my clothes or finally admit that you need new ones?" He quips as he watches Edward's hips sway and his brow furrow.

He's looking for something in particular. He's so focused on finding it, that his face doesn't even register that he's heard Jacob. 

He lets out a sigh when his question goes unanswered, reaching over into Edward's corner of the bed to pull out one of the shirts that he's become attached to. There's nothing particularly special about it. It's an old FPD t-shirt that he'd gotten when he'd first joined the Force, but Edward seems to have developed some kind of attachment to it.

"Looking for this?" He calls and watches as Edward whips around, eyes immediately landing on the piece of fabric dangling from Jacob's hand. 

He reaches for it, only to have it yanked back by Jacob.

"How about you get something out of your suitcase?" Jacob suggests and watches as Edward frowns, once again lunging for the shirt only to have it yanked out of his grasp. 

He can see the frown becoming deeper as Edward's eyes finally leave the shirt to focus on him. 

"You don't like me wearing your clothes?" The somberness in his voice is thick, like it's just dawned on him that this particular gesture may not be welcome. 

He pulls back and stands up straight like he's suddenly remembered himself, completely thrown out of his ritual.

"No, I enjoy it thoroughly. I just wanna see what you got in there." He offers, nodding towards the zipped up suitcase.

It's barely an excuse. He has to admit that he is curious after the last boxer debacle.

Jacob can't help but take some sort of personal pleasure in these changes. He can't help it. He can't help but get a small bit of satisfaction from knowing his partner is well taken care of. It's one of those instincts that he's accepted.