18

Jacob climbs the stairs three at a time, practically flying as he made his way to his bedroom. He pushes open the door to see Edward laying with Bear pressed against his chest, body turned towards the wall like he's trying to hide her from the world. Quil and Seth are posted up in front of the bed, still in dog form, but he can tell what they're thinking without words. He could feel it too. The scene in front of him felt like watching a panicked mother defend her baby. It's so strong that their instincts keep them rooted to their spots. They don't head for the door until Jacob's on the bed. He slowly moves Edward until he's pressed up against him, cautiously wrapping his arms around the man's waist before peering over his shoulder to get a good look at the both of them. 

Bear looks as if she'd been crying at some point, tears brimming in her eyes as she stares back at him. He wonders if she'd gotten scared during the initial chaos or if it was Edward's reaction getting her all worked up. She's fine currently, content with being held. Edward, on the other hand, looked to still be frazzled by the entire situation. He's not breathing erratically, not saying anything concerning, but Jacob can still tell. He can tell in the way he's still holding Bear when he usually refrains from doing so when she didn't particularly need it. He didn't want to coddle her, but right now, she seems to be the only thing keeping him calm. He's pretending to be calm for her. 

Jacob's not even sure he's ever seen the man break a sweat, let alone panic. Even when he was being pulled out of a crushed cop car, he had about one thing on his mind and that was keeping Bear safe, but he didn't seem frightened or unnerved. Maybe it was the concussion, but Jacob could tell that he, at least, understood that everything would be okay. Jacob, on the other hand, felt like his world had been tilted on its side. As the EMT checked Bear over in front of him while Edward watched, it felt like Edward was the one keeping him calm. 

"Hey, it's okay." He mumbles into Edward's hair before leaning down to place a kiss to the same area he chosen earlier.

It'd be a lot more effective if they were bonded, that is, if the bond had the same type of effect on Edward. It'd allow Jacob to help him calm down. All he can do right now is pull Edward into a sitting position, watching as the man clung to Bear like she was his lifeline. He tucked her in close even as Jacob pulled Edward over to sit in front of him. He tries to maneuver him until his back is reclining against Jacob's front, legs entangled into one another. Once he's situated, Jacob brings up a hand to run gently over Bear's head from where she's resting on Edward's shoulder. Edward must be relaxing a bit because she's comfortable enough that her eyelids are drooping. 

"She's okay." He reminds Edward, running a hand through Edward's hair as they both watch her eyes close. 

He lays there, knowing that it's going to take at least an hour for Edward to want to put her down, despite the ache that's undoubtedly running through both of his arms at this point. He waits patiently, and about an hour and a half later, he's able to scoop her up and put her back in the bassinet. 

Once she's settled, he climbs back onto the bed, only slightly surprised when Edward goes back to resting against him. Jacob runs his hands up and down his sides and over his arm as he waits for him to speak.

"How'd they know someone was here?" Edward's hoarse voice mumbled as his eyes glance toward the window. 

It's not the question he's expecting to hear. A lot of weirder things have happened tonight. Though, he can hear Leah's voice as she explains the situation.

"They could hear the sound of grass rustling as he ran by, smell his scent, hear your heartbeat, the sound of your footsteps, the sound of Bear's heartbeat..."

Bear's heartbeat which had undoubtedly sped up once she was awake and aware of Edward being distressed. 

All of those factors together tend to spell out trouble.