four

*we only see each other at weddings and funerals*

17 years ago...

'Nietzsche once said, "Man is as a rope, stretched between the animal and the superhuman. A rope over an abyss. It is a dangerous crossing, a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous trembling and halting."'

The spiral stairs had to be over 20 feet tall, Number Eight and Reginald Hargreeves standing at the top. This was a test, the remaining seven siblings knew that.

They'd been training and had made a bet between themselves that whoever got to the top first would get bragging rights, considering they didn't have anything else to offer up.

Reginald Hargreeves clutched his journal with R.H. stamped on the cover, signally Number Eight to blow her whistle, which would start the raining session.

At the sound of the whistle, they all ran to the first step and began to ascend the staircase.

'"As much as you must strive for individual greatness, and strive you must, for it won't come to you of its own accord. You must also remember that there is no individual stronger than the collective."'

Although Number One had gotten a head start, Number Two was able to push past him and get in front. As they climbed higher, Number Five realized there were no rules on using powers.

With that, he teleported in front of all his siblings. Number Seven groaned at the boy's antics, since he was now in the lead in front of Number Two, who wasn't happy at all.

"That's not fair, Five's cheating!" Number Two accused as they continued to run.

"He adapted," Reginald simply said.

Number Seven, having been in last the whole time, used Five's smart thinking to her advantage. She stopped running completely and squeezed her eyes shut, focusing on the sounds of her siblings' feet hitting the steps.

Finally, Seven opened her eyes and put her head up to look at her siblings' feet. One by one, ice started to form, gluing the children to their spot on the stairs.

Seven used these opportunity to run up the stairs; first surpassing her twin brother, then Number Four, Number Three, Number One, Number Two, and finally Number Five.

"Skyler!" they yelled as she ran.

After a bit, she started to struggle to climb the stairs, having trouble focusing on keeping her siblings' feet frozen and running at the same time. She knew she wouldn't last much longer.

Her siblings continued to yell at her as she was only one flight of stairs away from the top. At that time, she was completely exhausted and finally melted the ice.

But by then, her siblings were about 5 flights of stairs below her. Seven ran faster, panting heavily as the platform was only a few steps away. Once she reached the top, she collapsed to the floor, gasping for air.

Number Eight smiled at her warmly, her eyes shining with pride. Reginald, however, stared at her with no emotion. Seven looked up at him, expecting some kind of praise.

"Good job, Number Seven," he simply said.

~~~~

'"The ties that bind you together make you stronger than you are alone. They will make you impervious to the pain and hardship the world will thrust upon you. And believe me when I tell you, life will be hard. It will be painful.'"

The buzzing of the tattoo gun consumed the whole room, creating an ominous feeling. The children sat in an unordered line, anxiously waiting for their turn to get their umbrella tattoo.