prologue

On the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth.

This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began.

Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible.

Reginald Hargreeves roamed the streets of Seoul, South Korea, looking for the correct house. He had already collected 5 children. He heard of two more in the same place. Twins.

The man stopped in front of a rundown apartment building. Slowly, he walked into the building and climbed the countless stairs.

Surprisingly, the door to the apartment was unlocked, and he just walked right in without knocking. Hargreeves heard the crying of babies and people yelling in Korean.

When he rounded the corner, he was faced with a small family surrounded a woman and man, each holding a baby. A boy and a girl.

The family yelled at the man in Korean angrily, some holding frying pans or rolling pins and point them at Hargreeves. Finally, one of the men's in the small group approached the old man cautiously.

"What do you want?" the Korean man asked in English. Hargreeves ignored the man that had approached him and headed straight for the babies.

He kneeled down next to the people holding the babies, who surprisingly stopped yelling and threatening him.

"Extraordinary!" he declared, holding onto the baby girl's fingers that were ice cold.

"How much do you want for them?"

He got eight of them.