Chapter 20-Welcome back, Celine

Start from the beginning

Ruth led us to her dad's room and all this while I was trying not to make any noise at all.

By the time we reached her dad's room, I was drenched in sweat. Two of the maids were in the kitchen, busy in their own talks. Just as Ruth opened the door to the room, we saw a maid cleaning something up. And...

She saw us.

Great.

Her eyes widened and just as she was about to say something, Ruth placed her finger on her lips, telling the maid to keep quiet. We quickly entered the room and Ruth locked the door.

"What are you doing miss? Where have you been? It's great that you are back. I need to inform your father-"

"No!" Ruth shook her head.

"But why not?" The maid asked.

"First you tell me, what are you doing in my father's room?" Ruth raised a suspiscious eyebrow.

We noticed some pieces of a broken vase lying near the bed.

"You broke dad's favourite vase?!" Ruth's eyes widened.

"Please, miss. Don't tell your father else he'll fire me." The maid pleaded.

I saw Ruth smirking. Zack quickly got his phone out of his pocket and clicked the pictures of the broken vase and the maid holding a few pieces of it. The maid looked horrified.

Ruth's smirk widened.

"Martha, if you don't want me to tell father about this, promise me that you'll not tell him about me either. I know you need money for your husband's heart operation so-"

"I'll not tell him anything. Please miss, trust me." Martha begged Ruth and I didn't feel good to use someone's weakness against them like this.

This poor woman was working so hard to get money and here we are, stealing a necklace for it.

"Don't worry, I won't. Just go out. We need to find something here." Martha obliged and left the room.

"And also, keep Jenny and Stacy away from this room." Ruth added before Martha disappeared from our sight.

"Zack, you search in these drawers while Jennifer, you search in the closet. I'll look in this cupboard."

We all got to work and I made sure not to make the closet look like it had been searched.

There was a blue box behind some clothes and I took it out. I opened it to find a beautiful diamond necklace in it.

"I found it!"

"Shhhh" They both said in unison.

"Sorry." I apologised.

Ruth took the necklace out of my hands and kept it in the small bag she was carrying.

I kept the box in its place and closed the closet. Zack opened the room door to see if the coast was clear. "Let's go." He whispered.

We tiptoed up the staircase and noticed that the main door was closed. The butler wasn't there anymore. I was getting more and more nervous with each step I took.

When we reached the end of the staircase, Ruth and Zack ran towards her room while I nearly tripped. I led out a low yelp but quickly covered my mouth.

As I was climbing down the ladder, lost in my own thoughts about what we've just done, my foot slipped. I lost my balance on the ladder and flailed my arms to reach it again but missed. I closed my eyes shut and waited for the ground to hit me but the impact never came.