Fifty-five | Mate

Start from the beginning

Nobody had the definitive answer, but the idea created another issue that Visena wanted to solve. She had no idea how, but she was sure it would come to her.

"You know what, let's leave it for now. You both are staying for the foreseeable future. End of story. Let's go back to the packhouse."

The conversation had left them solemn as they trudged silently to Invictus. Mihnea and Calypso veered off down the path as they reached the Packhouse.

Gideon gripped Visena's hand in his and kept her close as they walked inside. Cassia's babbling called them into the kitchen, and the view had them both grinning. 

Liam danced around the kitchen counter to soft music with the cooing angel in his arms. At the sight of his two Alphas, he froze and blushed with an awkward smile across his lips. "H- Hi," he stuttered. "You're back early."

The melody continued through the awkward silence, giving the Fae an idea. Without a word, Visena turned and grabbed Gideon's other hand. She swayed and twirled herself around him until he caught on and pulled her in close. They danced around the counter as Cassia giggled and shimmied in Liam's arms. With a resigned laugh, Liam continued spinning and dancing with the pair. It felt good just to enjoy the music. They were carefree, if only for a moment.

"I love you," Gideon whispered to his mate. His sparkling eyes and laughter made Visena's heart race as he spun her carefully around the table.

"Do we get an invite to this party?" Eve questioned from the entryway.

"Get in here!" Visena called with a giggle, watching Eve and her warrior mate try to let loose.

Eve's smile was radiant and in stark contrast to her usual stern expression.

For the first time, Prim was the one who interrupted the moment and dampened everyone's mood. "They're here."

"Who?"

"The Asian Wolves. They got here early. Sorry for interrupting."

 Not even a day of peace. Typical.

Visena gave her mate one last squeeze before untangling herself. "It's okay, Prim. Let's go. Liam you-"

"I'll put Cass down for her nap, and I'll be right there."

Damn. Go Beta.

They left without another word, music still playing quietly in the packhouse kitchen.

Like the European wolves, the Alphas were in human form, and all looked so vastly different and powerful that Visena was enamoured. The visit went like all the rest. They shifted, howled, and confirmed the silver-haired Faery was their Queen, all before Liam arrived.

"Hey, Alpha I-" Liam paused with a glazed look, staring at one of the female Asian Alphas.

"What are you staring at?" she asked, her dark features marring with curiosity.

"Where- where are you from? What pack?" Liam's stuttering was strange, and Visena started getting nervous.

"Armenia. I'm Alpha of the Martic Pack," she stated as her deep brown eyes considered the Beta.

He walked closer and inhaled deeply. "Your name?"

"Akabe."

"No... You're not, uh, sorry." He shook his head and stepped back but not before the Armenian Alpha grabbed his hand. She shook it firmly before releasing him and wiping her palm across her trouser leg.

"Well, Queen Visena, it was nice to meet you finally. Please let us know if you require us for anything," Akabe said before turning to leave.

The Asian Alphas followed after, some with smiles, the others with polite bows. Visena returned each farewell gesture and prepared to head home when a strange whirring sound came from directly above them.