"I didn't suppose you did have a shield," Chiron said. "I think a size six will do. I'll visit the armory later."

The tour continued. We saw the archery range, the canoeing lake, the stables (which Chiron didn't seem to like very much), the javelin range, the sing-along amphitheater, and the arena where Chiron said they held sword and spear fights.

"Sword and spear fights?" I asked.

"Cabin challenges and all that," he explained. "Not lethal. Usually. Oh, yes, and there's the mess hall."

Chiron pointed to an outdoor pavilion framed in white Grecian columns on a hill overlooking the sea. There were a dozen stone picnic tables. No roof. No walls.

"What do you do when it rains?" I asked.

Chiron looked at me as if I'd gone a little weird. "We still have to eat, don't we?" I decided to drop the subject.

Finally, he showed me the cabins. There were twelve of them, nestled in the woods by the lake. They were arranged in a U, with two at the base and five in a row on either side. And they were without doubt the most bizarre collection of buildings I'd ever seen.

Except for the fact that each had a large brass number above the door (odds on the left side, evens on the right), they looked absolutely nothing alike. Number nine had smokestacks, like a tiny factory. Number four had tomato vines on the walls and a roof made out of real grass. Seven seemed to be made of solid gold, which gleamed so much in the sunlight it was almost impossible to look at. They all faced a commons area about the size of a soccer field, dot-ted with Greek statues, fountains, flower beds, and a couple of basketball hoops (which were quite normal, if you ask me).

In the center of the field was a huge stone-lined firepit. Even though it was a warm afternoon, the hearth smol-dered. A girl about nine years old was tending the flames, poking the coals with a stick.

The pair of cabins at the head of the field, numbers one and two, looked like his-and-hers mausoleums, big white marble boxes with heavy columns in front. Cabin one was the biggest and bulkiest of the twelve. Its polished bronze doors shimmered like a hologram, so that from different angles lightning bolts seemed to streak across them. Cabin two was more graceful somehow, with slimmer columns garlanded with pomegranates and flowers. The walls were carved with images of peacocks.

"Zeus and Hera?" I pointed at the two cabins at the end, giving a shot at whose gods they belonged to.

"Correct," Chiron said.

"Both look quite empty."

"Several of the cabins are. That's true. No one ever stays in one or two."

Okay. So each cabin had a different god, like a mascot. Twelve cabins for the twelve Olympians.

I knew that Hera was the goddess of marriage, therefore she would be loyal to her husband, Zeus. Zeus, on the contrary, did have a lot of children with mortals in the myths. Why is his empty?

Artemis and Athena would be other goddesses with empty cabins, for all I knew. They both had chastity votes.

I stopped in front of the second cabin of the right side, it seemed to be owned by the childs of Athena. But unlike I thought it would be, it was filled with dozens of kids.

One of them waved at me through the open doorway. I chuckled and gave a small wave back.

"Oh, it seems that you found the Athena cabin," Chiron said as he approached me.

"Isn't Athena one of the 4 virgin god-desses?" I asked.

"I do believe so, why?" Chiron giggled.

"How does she have kids, then?"