"Using little robots called nanotechnology." Apollo elaborated.

I crossed my arms grumpily over my chest.

The shock of all this new information is starting to pale to insignificance beside the fact that every single person in this room thinks I'm a damn idiot.

"Riiiight." I drawled, trying to think of a nice, indirect way to say go screw yourself.

"And let me guess, it's also how she made herself look like Rachel, right? Used the image of another person to reconstruct her body. So Artemis looks like you because he physically is you."

"Yes." Apollo nodded hesitantly, a little shocked by my understanding. Not that he knew that I had just recently been lectured on this stuff by some of the greatest experts in nanotechnology on the planet.

That's right kids, I just scored ten points for Gryffindor.

Using. My. Brain.

"Without blueprints, we were unable to turn Artemis back to normal," Apollo explained softly, glancing guiltily down at his brother. "And because of the, ah, nature of his escape, he caught the attention of the Shrink Program and was taken away soon after. "

"And what, the super-intelligent people at the Shrink Program just didn't notice that the fifteen-year-old Artemis Mc'Valium suddenly looks just like his eleven-year-old brother?" I snapped moodily.

"I don't think they even knew I existed Maddison." He sighed.

"My father was very... Motivated, to have Artemis sent to the Shrink program as soon as possible. Hospital records, police reports, all forms of identification, everything was edited to look as if Artemis only suffered minor injuries, after a string of petty crimes under the influence of alcohol. Even his probation was cut short after Father expressed concerns that Artemis wasn't handling the size difference combined with the trauma. Truth be told, the real Artemis Mc'Valium was erased before the Shrink Program even heard his name."

They never questioned it either. Mild natured and broken, Artemis didn't cause enough trouble to get himself noticed at the Shrink Program... Then I turned up... And the pieces stopped fitting together.

"The Underground is very good at covering these sort of things up Maddison," Alex muttered ominously beside me. "Its what they do."

"Yea, like that time Alex blew up an entire building." Alan snickered gleefully. "Three days later, they had built a forest over on top of all the damage, and it was like it never happened. Bam, No more secret science facility."

"I blew up the building?" Alex glared at his brother indignantly. "Funny, I seem to recall you pushing the button Alan."

"Details." Alan shrugged.

"Don't give me that bull-"

"Until today."

At the blunt announcement, our small group fell silent, staring down at Dr Floid.

Who bowed dramatically.

"As Apollo said, Without blueprints, we were unable to return Artemis back to normal." Her smile widened into the most satisfying expression I had ever seen.

"Until today."

She can't mean...

She snapped her fingers, and I wasn't at all surprised to see her hand burst into water at the motion. Even as the liquid swarmed towards Artemis, the Nano-Tech genius continued to speak.

"From nothing more than fragments of DNA, gathered from scraps of cells, I was finally able to create a suitable blueprint." Her voice grew manic as the water tornado thing started to happen to Artemis as well.

"Three years of intensive research, and now I have the means to replicate anyone from their DNA alone! With nothing more than a handshake, I can transform any one of us into the most influential people in the world! Royalty, politicians, celebrities, the wealthy and powerful. With this technology, we can steal the identity and life of any person we want."

Holy. Crap.

"With this, I not only give the Mc'Valium's back their dear eldest son."

The water tornado dispersed.
Revealing the blond-haired child from the portrait. Older and hell of a lot taller of course, but still.

Artemis stared down at his hands in wonder, no longer the pale petite hands that belonged to his brother.

Dr Floid let out a delighted cackle of amusement.

"I humbly present to you all, served on a silver platter!" She threw her arms up triumphantly. "The world."